Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about aspis/hoplon shield
I've always wondered why ancient Greeks wrapped a rope around the inside of their aspis/hoplon shield instead of a more solid grip like other cultures. Any thoughts?

Thanks
The rope often seen in representations of the interior of the aspis is not connected with the "grip". The shield is held by the porpax (arm-band) and antilabê (hand-grip).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
So what is that rope for?
Quote:So what is that rope for?
$64,000 question. Confusedmile: J.K. Anderson (iirc) suggested spare material to mend the antilabê if it snapped; or was it Anderson who suggested that it was for slinging the shield over the hoplite's shoulder to carry it more easily? (Anyway, these are two good suggestions.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
wrong subforum
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
It may have had a different funtion, but i know of at least two representations (a vase painting and a terracota plaque) that show the aspis being hung on the back by that rope. My suggestion on why it had to be attached to so many points is that this would spready the weight of the shield to more than two points. The shield was very thin (0,6 cm at some parts) so this need of spreading the weight makes sense to me.
Also, its going around the rim prevents it from getting on your way when using the shield.
So it is not a theory that they hung it from that rope, but some people suggest it should have had an additional purpose...
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
How about an additional use as handles for carrying someone on the shield as in come home with your shield or on it!
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Nope,that would be only Spartans.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Spartans generally buried their dead where they fell. There were some exceptions to this. Injured warriors might be carried on their shields - but not the dead. There were obvious reasons for this - respect for the dead and burying them where they fell honourably; basic hygiene; not wanting to lug bodies all the way home; the memorials acted as a useful political reference point about the extent of military power etc.

The saying ascribed to Plutarch about returning with or on your shield was almost certainly not said by a Spartan woman and is a misapplication. If it was ever said at all it was probably by another lady Greek outside of Sparta.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:The saying ascribed to Plutarch about returning with or on your shield was almost certainly not said by a Spartan woman and is a misapplication. If it was ever said at all it was probably by another lady Greek outside of Sparta.

Then prove it using historical references we all can look up or make a valid point using any current historic academic discourse we all can look into.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Silly Thucidides....(or was it Herodotus....) :neutral:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
No it was Plutarchus in his book Moralia.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
There ya go! :razz:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Ghostmojo post=295106 Wrote:The saying ascribed to Plutarch about returning with or on your shield was almost certainly not said by a Spartan woman and is a misapplication. If it was ever said at all it was probably by another lady Greek outside of Sparta.

Then prove it using historical references we all can look up or make a valid point using any current historic academic discourse we all can look into.

M.VIB.M.

I will do. However, first I would remind you of your own lack of academic prowess in swiftly dismissing Alexandros III's Greekness (on another thread) and failing to follow up my own queries about that!
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Would not have a clue which thread you are on about since I dont follow them all, but ill look it up...

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My 2nd Greek aspis (shield) with improved porpax - steps & pics PygmyHippo 3 1,175 09-18-2020, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Jehan Gelria
  How I built my Greek aspis (hoplite shield) - step by step photos PygmyHippo 5 4,199 08-30-2020, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Jehan Gelria
  How to make a Hoplon/Aspis? Apollodoros 4 5,850 11-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Huovi