Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mons Graupius
Now, children: how many cliches can you cram into one short 'news' article? The BBC is carrying a story about how Historic Scotland are not adding Mons Graupius to their list of registered battlefields because they don't know where it is (Duncan, have you hidden it again?!). The estimable Mr Dando-Collins' book Legions of Rome is cited as an authority and they manage to bring in (surprise surprise) Eagle of the Ninth/The Eagle (cue picture of that pouting American actor with interchangeable first names with an understandably puzzled-looking Billy Elliot). The best quote from Lesley McInnes is 'The research outcome for Mons Graupius will be clarified by the end of the financial year' which makes it sound as if HS will make it a battlefield if they have enough money left over! What we need is a publisher like, oooh, I don't know, Osprey(?), to produce a book on Mons Graupius.

In England we know exactly where all our battlefields are. Take Bosworth Field, for instance. Oh, hang on, not a good one... Catraeth, perhaps. Hmmm, that one's tricky too...

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Well, as the droll American, I'd have to suggest they look in Edinburgh. No, there's no mountain there, but everybody knows it's a lot easier to search on flat land than mountainsides. How hard was that? :grin:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Well, as the droll American, I'd have to suggest they look in Edinburgh. No, there's no mountain there, but everybody knows it's a lot easier to search on flat land than mountainsides. How hard was that? :grin:
Loath though I am to pick nits (despite the sig line), I feel driven to point out that mons doesn't necessarily mean mountain (think of Trimontium, Three Hills). Since Edinburgh has two perfectly serviceable montes (Castle Rock and Arthur's Seat, both volcanic plugs) it can't be ruled out quite so quickly. However, Gordon Maxwell's A Battle Lost (ominous title, that!) suggests that not even the loopiest of Scots antiquarians thought of locating the battle in Auld Reekie.

Mike Bishop

So apparently no one knows or remembers that Mons Graupius is the Brecon Beacons ?

That is so silly !!!

Wink

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Isn't the main point that the BBC has become quite unreliable for information about ancient history? Several months ago, they also offered attention to the theory about "Maundy Wednesday" by quack historian Colin Humphreys; I discussed it here.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Isn't the main point that the BBC has become quite unreliable for information about ancient history?

I think that, overall, the BBC is the best news organisation in the world. Mistakes are certainly made, though, and everything needs to be taken in context.

Quote:By Steven McKenzie

BBC Scotland Highlands and Islands reporter

I would suggest the article is more about a modern issue - discussing where the site is located - than a historical issue. This is a news story regarding modern uncertainty about Mons Graupius. McKenzie's "beat" doesn't seem to be ancient history at all.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Isn't the main point that the BBC has become quite unreliable for information about ancient history?
Certainly in this case. It seems odd that the BBC should cite a dodgy Dando-Collins book and an equally erratic web site, when they have several acknowledged experts on their doorstep.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:I think that, overall, the BBC is the best news organisation in the world. Mistakes are certainly made, though, and everything needs to be taken in context.
But no longer on ancient history... over the past months, they have made too many unnecessary mistakes.
Jona Lendering
My website
You are absolutely right Jona, it seems like the BBC is going too much on popularity and less on scholarly solid information...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
This is the section of the article that caught my attention:

"In his book, Dando-Collins connects Mons Graupius with the disappearance of the 9th after it was later posted to Carlisle.

He said Caledonians had sought revenge for the defeat and ambushed and slaughtered the legion along with its affiliated units."
Confusedhock:

On what evidence does he base this wild assumption?

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:On what evidence does he base this wild assumption?

Stephen Dando-Collins requires no evidence. He is above such trifling things.
Nathan Ross
Quote:
Narukami post=294957 Wrote:On what evidence does he base this wild assumption?

Stephen Dando-Collins requires no evidence. He is above such trifling things.
Only gets in the way, in my experience (cf. leather segmentata :roll: ).

Mike Bishop

Next you'll be telling me that the Seal people didn't exist Confusedhock:

...and I have been working SO hard on my be-woaded Mohican impression Cry Cry Cry
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hmmm, funny how amazingly the lie of the land at Oyne resembles Tacitus description of the battlefield....he must have read about it in one of Dando's books.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Stephen Dando-Collins requires no evidence. He is above such trifling things.
Unfortunately, he's not the only one... There's to much prolefeed about classics.
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Site for Mons Graupius antiochus 14 3,743 06-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Mons Graupius Cavalry Question antiochus 27 4,591 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Last Post: antiochus
  Mons Graupius: close/open order deployment grainger 8 2,135 03-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Macedon