Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Boudicca movie
Ayyee, it has happened: a [url=http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,12589,1205574,00.html" target="top]new Boudicca movie![/url]<br>
<br>
Mel 'Braveheart' Gibson strikes again!<br>
<br>
"The film, to be directed by Gavin O'Connor, will follow Boudicca's life from her childhood as a <em><strong>peasant</strong></em> girl to her struggle against the Roman invasion. She is credited with uniting Britain's Celtic tribes against the invader."<br>
<br>
I've already heard her described as a celtic Jeanne d'Arc...<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
<br>
"The trouble with Britannia, is that there are too many Britons."<br>
<br>
Or:<br>
<br>
"If we can't drive them out, we'll Brit them out"<br>
<br>
Erm, yeah, that last one was really bad...<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Andreas Baede
I think it is safe to say that Gibson will remain true to form and produce another abysmal film with no attention given at all to historical accuracy. As you pointed out, he hasn’t even began production and already he has distorted the story in order to make it a better crowd pleaser. Boudicca the peasant girl – whatever next? <p></p><i></i>
Whatever next?<br>
try this - the (good) britons are played by Americans and the (bad) Romans are playes by - yes indeed - British actors.<br>
<br>
True to form, Mel has a problem.. colonial-syndrome..<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quite, and who would have thought those brutal Romans spoke with an accent quite at home in an Oscar Wilde play.<br>
<br>
Do you think he will omit the atrocities carried out by the tribes on the Roman citizens? Well, actually that goes without saying.<br>
<br>
I also notice in the press release Boudicca united all the British tribes as well as defeating a complete legion. I expect we will be able to count the accurate facts in this film on one hand.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>I expect we will be able to count the accurate facts in this film on one hand.<hr><br>
<br>
You mean, one with all the fingers amputated... <p></p><i></i>
Andreas Baede
Great another movie where he paints his face blue again and screams and wars against civilization. <p></p><i></i>
The interesting thing about the article listed in the first post is that there are four films about this topic currently in pre-production. Of course, two of them will probably drop out due to the competition, but that is small comfort. Based upon their titles and the studios/producers backing them they all seem to be equally dedicated to historical accuracy.<br>
<br>
I would have thought it impossible at the time, but now is seems likely that one or more of these films will make that earlier BBC/PBS tv show about Boudicca look like a true work of art.<br>
<br>
Then again, maybe we will get lucky...<br>
<br>
The gods look down and laugh.<br>
<br>
Narukami <p></p><i></i>
Yeah he'll butcher the history again and yet still make an awesome movie and sweep at the Academy awards! Damn him! <p></p><i></i>
It wasn't the BBC! This was a commercial station production. The BBC did a much classier version of the Boudica story with Sian Phillips decades ago.<br>
Don't knock the Beeb. They're the best value for money in the business.<br>
<br>
That's done with then.<br>
<br>
The news about Mel's version was depressing indeed. I'm sure it'll have loads spent on it, and look terrific with some great action sequences... and wholly screw up any accurate idea of what actually happened.<br>
<br>
Now if he was making a film about Cartimandua on the other hand... <p></p><i></i>
Am I right in thinking he is going to drag up for the part ???<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Yes, I think it's going to be called <strong>Dearheart...</strong> <p></p><i></i>
My apologies for the mistake -- here in the US the show played on PBS (public tv) which claimed that it had come from the BBC. (There is an assumption here that everything comes form the BBC.)<br>
<br>
Actually, I have found the BBC programs to always be well done, hence the disappointment with the recent 'Warrior Queen' show.<br>
<br>
We never saw the one with Sian Phillips -- perhaps all of this Boudicca movie action will inspire the BBC to re-release it here in the US as a DVD.<br>
<br>
Thanks for the clarification.<br>
<br>
Narukami <p></p><i></i>
From the Guardian article:<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>avenging her slain husband and child...<hr><br>
<br>
Um... <p></p><i></i>
My parents taped "Warrior Queen" and told me how great it was. Needless to say I was absolutley appauled when I watched it! If 8 year old boys could hamstring Roman Soldiers, and 16 year old girls were able to slay them by the dozen, then I highly doubt Rome would have ruled anything outside of Palatine, let alone the known world. The uniforms looked straight out of the local Shakespeare troop, the dialogue was cheesy at best, and in the battle scenes the Romans fought with about as much ferocity and discipline as a bunk of drunks at a frat house. Historically, during the actual final battle, the ratio of Britons to Romans killed was somewhere between 50-to-1 and 200-to-1.<br>
<br>
The fact that people watch garbage like this and except it as "history" is appauling. After watching this abomination, I loaned my parents a copy of the book "Imperial Governor" to help set them straight. Now THAT would make an awesome movie! <p></p><i></i>