Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
William Altimari\'s "Legion" review
Legion is a story of Diocles, a Greek scholar, given the task of Immortalizing the Roman Legions by training with a group of recruits, experiencing Army life, and writing about his experiences. All this takes place at an Legionary Fortress near the Rhenus(Rhine) river in Gaul, modern day France. Through Diocles, we meet the other characters in the book, including the man who comes to dominate the book, Rufio, a grizzled veteran centurion, haunted by the past. All this takes place under the threat of an imminent invasion from the barbarian German hordes. The characters are fleshed out well, especially from the Roman side and the plot moves smoothly. Legion is more two books than one. The main plot detailed above and also the training and practices of the Roman Legionnaire. This should not daunt anyone unfamiliar with the Roman Army as the author explains this aspect in an educating and entertaining manner that is easily grasped. Legion is a rip-roaring read that leaves you wanting for more! It is Historical Fiction at its best! <p></p><i></i>
Though I've always been into Roman Military History, "Legion" culminates things for me in a lot of ways. I get so tired of reading about all the "big names" and seeing the Centurions and below as little more than window dressing. I especially liked that all the main characters were common Soldiers, who when you think about it are really no different than Soldiers in a modern army. The only drawbacks that I found were that there were too few battle scenes, and the story of Rufio's "past" was a bit on the cheesy side. However it does not take away from the overall story. Good overall storyline, with awesome characters.<br>
<br>
Sadly, novels of this nature are too few in number. <p></p><i></i>
"I especially liked that all the main characters were common Soldiers, who when you think about it are really no different than Soldiers in a modern army."<br>
<br>
Ahem...<br>
<br>
THE EAGLE'S PREY has just been published if that's the kind of stuff you like. <p></p><i></i>
Simon, it says 'July 5' on Amazon.UK. ?<br>
<br>
This has been a wonderful month for Roman mystery fiction, by the way:<br>
<br>
Steven Saylor, Lindsey Davis and Caroline Lawrence have all released books. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:</em></strong><hr>THE EAGLE'S PREY has just been published if that's the kind of stuff you like. <hr><br>
<br>
<br>
WOO HOO! Can't wait- gonna go re-read the first three to review!<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I have just finished Legion and have to say I found it very hard going. Altimari is no writer of fiction and the story does not flow well at all.<br>
<br>
I found that he would overdo the level of historical content, something I would rarely complain about. The main character’s attention to detail in noticing the shape and angles of defensive ditches was just a little too much. There were also certain elements to the story that seemed quite superfluous. For instance the rape of a male slave by his guard had nothing to do with the (rather simple) plot and was quite unnecessary.<br>
<br>
Looking forward to “Eagles Preyâ€ÂÂ
I pretty much disagree with your whole post, not that there's anything wrong with that since to each his own.<br>
<br>
I found Legion to be an excellent story. As for the little details such as trench angles and what not, well those are the things and effective comnbat leader at Rufio's level would be paying attention to. We are meant to be reminded that those little points help distinguish live veterans from dead amatuers or political appointees.<br>
<br>
And the superflous bits of a story are the ones that to me add a little flavor to the thing, just as a good storyteller around the campfire will sometimes linger over some point not central to his main theme in order to add a little valdity to the yarn.<br>
<br>
Los<br>
<br>
<br>
P.s. Glad to hear the next Scarrow book is out since I very much enjoy his work too. And while he's at it keep the profanity coming, I'm very suspect of soldiers that don't swear. They're viewed with suspicion from the rest of us that do. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=los456>Los456</A> at: 6/24/04 6:49 pm<br></i>
Los

aka Carlos Lourenco
My second post I think covered most of my comments in regards to “Legionâ€ÂÂ
Caius Marius Severus, I agree 100% with what you have just said about profanity in novels. There are a few novels that I have tried to read and didn't get past the first chapter, not because I was deeply offended by the profanity, but because I was <em>distracted</em> by it. <p>"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</p><i></i>
I think if you want to use profanity in a Roman novel, you should use it in latin. Those who care to study would be impressed, and those who are offended, would have to work at it, to be offended!<br>
A lot of Anglo-American "cursing" would never have happened during Roman or Greek conversation! <p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:</em></strong><hr>if you want to use profanity in a Roman novel, you should use it in latin. <hr><br>
Great idea! And educational, too!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes Caius I was toungue and cheek. (Hey we need an icon for that!)<br>
<br>
Cheers...<br>
<br>
Los<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Los

aka Carlos Lourenco
The best use of Latin profanity in fiction has got to be Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. By the end of them all, I was halfway to using the terms <em>cunnus</em> and <em>mentula</em> on other drivers as opposed to my usual driving epithets (normally driving is the only time I curse).<br>
<br>
Jenny <p><br>
--------------------<br>
<br>
"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they are realities, and are often even more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are."<br>
-- Niccoló Machiavelli, <em>The Discourses</em>, 1517. </p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
edepol! <p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  William Dietrich QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS 1 1,030 07-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Last Post: Muzzaguchi
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,881 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus