Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virginia Earthquake
Today we had a 5.8 magnitude earthquake in Virginia and it was felt as far away as New England, including out on Martha's Vineyard off the Massachusetts/Rhode Island coast, where Pesident Obama is vacationing. we felt it at my office in Connecticut. Mild up here by comparison to the locales closer to it - such as Washington D.C. - Matt Amt and Rich Campbell live and work in the DC area. New York City's tall buildings swayed a bit.

As the news reports say, earthquakes in the eastern US tend to be felt farther than on the west coast as the rock is less fractured and therefore the tremors travel further.

Hope everyone is okay, especially in the areas closer to the quake.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
We felt it in Pittsburgh, PA. It was long enough for me to figure out what it was by process of elimination (no one bumped my cubicle, no one ran into a wall with the forklift, no one was flying too low into the airport...). My first!
Cheryl Boeckmann
My first earthquake was last year I seem to remember. Middle of the night the cat unusually ran into the bedroom and started making some weird noises, so I woke up and asked it what was going on. Then I felt the earthquake ...

Good earthquake predictors, cats?
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
I happened to be walking in our underground parking lot (we're in Arlington) and only noticed a rumbling that sounded like a huge truck overhead..where there isn't a street. Folks on the upper levels noticed swaying and halls shifting.
My wife works in USDA South building, a circa 1935 construction, and a lot of the plaster cracked and fell down. Thousands of workers and tourists milled on the Mall and wondered how to get out of town with Metro mobbed and bridges closed until inspected. Tourists who were staying in Virginia were particularly perplexed.
I noticed when I picked my wife up from south USDA building that for the first time ALL the rental bicycles were rented out.
Police had roped off the Washington Monument: apparently some of the lower blocks had fallen off, though I haven't seen a report on it.
Federal highway inspectors were on the bridges.
I have not heard of any injuries, fortunately. Roads were reopened around 5:30.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I can't say why, but here in Bucks (just north of Philly) we barely felt anything. I was up in my room and thought it was a strong gust of wind. The folks at Dunkin' Donuts say they didn't notice it at all. And yet it was felt much farther off. Nature is weird.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
By Monday, you should be getting some serious rain if Irene holds to projected course.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The hurricane is going to miss us :-( :-( :-( :-( We're on the West coast FL...

>o<
I was hoping for AT LEAST HEAVY RAIN AND WINDS....not total destruction :-| I hear from people that we won't get the rain either... Oh well, lets hope one of it's siblings is a better entertainer. :roll: I don't want bad things, just enough to get to use my cam, I've never seen a tornado, ( don't want one) and I live very close to the famous tornado prone area, idk name...

Earthquake is extremely exciting!...and weird...I think those dooms day people are gonna take advantage of all this bullz. I mean, First Chili, then Japan, oh and we had Haiti....um, I think I'm missing a couple volcanic eruptions, and then THIS! aww....why didn't it bring down the imposture obelisk :-? 8) I mean, the good o'll Romans didn't even import if from Egypt Confusedad: That's what you get for not making things the authentic way, good o'll carving giant blocks that weigh maybe 50 tons or more, up up up into the air...usually they were a solid piece though...smaller...

What next? A, oh wait...darn that too!....we already have a Zeus sized form in Abraham Lincoln....aghh.

:lol: anyway, what a crazy world we live in, we should all be proud to live in such an exciting era!... Confusedhock:
maybe not...

I hope nobody is seriously hurt in this disaster,

Sam
Samuel J.