Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple of 1BC questions
Hi all,

I'm afraid I'm new here and unsure how this works. I'm doing an essay and I was hoping that I could get a few questions answered for it; I hope this is the place!

The part of history I'm interested in is the expedition led by Gaius Julius Caesar into Armenia in 1BC, which ended with Phraates V signing a peace treaty with Caesar rather than see the situation end in bloodshed. There's some historical suggestion that Caesar was accompanied by Sejanus.

My questions are as follows:

1: What official rank would Gaius Julius Caesar have held in his army role as commander of the Roman forces in the east? He was also governor of Syria, but what would his military rank when in charge of this expedition have been?
2: Similar to the above, if Sejanus had have accompanied Caesar as a sort of second in command, what would his rank have been?
3: How many legions would have taken part in the expeditions? The Romans fully expected a fight when they set off; would they have taken a particularly large force?
4: Is there any evidence which I've missed which shows which specific legions actually took part?
5: In addition to Caesar and (possibly) Sejanus, who would have led the force, would there have been a General present as well, or would Caesar have been the General?

Besides Tacitus, the evidence for this period is really quite scant. There's very little on record. I'm having trouble locating any answers, so I'd appreciate any help you could give.

Thanks!
Quote:1: What official rank would Gaius Julius Caesar have held in his army role as commander of the Roman forces in the east?
He held an imperium proconsulare. The fact that he was also consul designatus will have given him imperium maius.[/quote]

Quote:2: Similar to the above, if Sejanus had have accompanied Caesar as a sort of second in command, what would his rank have been?
I don't know, perhaps an equestrian tribuneship, just like Velleius Paterculus?

Quote:My questions are as follows:5: In addition to Caesar and (possibly) Sejanus, who would have led the force, would there have been a General present as well, or would Caesar have been the General?
I would not be surprised if Lollius was supposed to be the real man in charge.

Quote:Besides Tacitus, the evidence for this period is really quite scant. There's very little on record.
Do not underestimate Paterculus, who was a witness. The fact that he has little to say about the Armenian campaign is curious; the fact that he admits that Gaius' suspicion of Lollius was based on rumors, is very intriguing. I would not be surprised if Gaius' command was spectacularly unsuccesful, and that things were covered up.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks very much, you've been incredibly helpful!

Any idea as to the questions on the legions?
Quote:Any idea as to the questions on the legions?
In 14, III Gallica, VI Ferrata, X Fretensis, and XII Fulminata were in Syria; I would start my search there.

There may have been a subunit (or more than one) from V Macedonica, because Velleius was there, and he was based on a place from where he could visit the Bosphorus. That suggests a legion from Lower Moesia.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
?
You've been incredibly helpful, thanks very much.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  couple of scutum questions Cephas23 4 1,689 04-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Couple of questions on recruiting practice Tiberius Clodius Corvinus 6 2,955 05-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  A couple of late Roman helmet questions angelo 6 2,674 02-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Last Post: angelo