Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army School, Durham, 2012
Now that the 2012 RAT Conference seems to be set for early March next year, I feel able to post details of this event in the knowledge that they will not clash. It is not re-enactment but this seems as good a place as any to post them. If this should be elsewhere, perhaps the mods could move it.

The Roman Army School is a course on the Roman army held annually in Durham, England, at around Easter-time. The first was in 1970 and it has been held virtually every year since then. Originally, it was conducted under the auspices of the Extra-Mural Department of Durham University but now it is run by the Hadrianic Society. It is organised by Dr Brian Dobson, a highly respected scholar of the Roman army and an authority on Hadrian's Wall. The School is open to anyone with an interest in the army and consists of a series of lectures, mostly by recognised professionals. I say "mostly" because unusually, if not uniquely, for many years ordinary members of the course have been encouraged to deliver lectures on aspects of the subject that interest them. I have done so on a number of occasions and will be speaking again next year (now there's an incentive - either to attend or to stay away!). Many students, like me, return year after year. Adrian Goldsworthy, who has been one of the regular lecturers for some years, regards the School as unique for its longevity and the degree of knowledge accumulated by those attending, and speaks highly of it in his blog. Not that anyone should feel intimidated from attending; some knowledge is assumed but no more than can be obtained from reading a general book on the subject.

The School is held over five days, beginning on Saturday evening and ending at lunchtime on Wednesday. There are two lectures in the morning, two in the afternoon and one in the evening. Monday afternoon is generally free, allowing students to go into Durham to visit the bookshops or the cathedral, to travel up to Hadrian's Wall or to conduct research in the University library, which will admit those not studying at the University upon production of ID. There is a social gathering on the Tuesday evening, misleadingly called a "wild party". There is ample opportunity to discuss points of interest with the lecturers at mealtimes, between lectures or in the bar in the evening, although other commitments mean that some lecturers are not there for the whole time. Inevitably, most of those attending are from the UK but one long-standing student comes over from the States each year and another comes from Germany (incidentally, both have been invited to speak next year), while one of the professional lecturers also comes over from Germany.

Next year's School is to be held from Saturday, 31st March to Wednesday, 4th April 2012 at Collingwood College, Durham. This represents a change of venue (for many years, it has been held at St Aidan's College), so I cannot comment upon the facilities or the likely cost. When full details are announced, I will post them. In the meantime, anyone interested will find such information as is currently available, as well as information about the Hadrianic Society itself, on the Society's website (www.hadrianicsociety.com). I hope that this post has aroused your interest and that those of you who can do so may be moved to attend the 2012 School. I am sure that you will find it a stimulating experience. New blood is always welcome and it would be interesting to be able to put faces to the noms-de-plume.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
@Renatus: thanks so much for that post. I remember reading an advert for the school when I was visiting Corbridge Roman site in 2004, and wanting desperately to go to it. At the time, I couldn't get the time off work, and subsequent years have slipped by without my noticing. Now I your post has alerted me to it, I won't let it slip by me again. Roll on the end of March!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
I look forward to seeing you there.
Michael King Macdona

Yes I too shall be attending come March! Thanks for the notice, Renatus.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Good. Is your pal from Consett coming?
Michael King Macdona

I hope so. We might make a little 'club'!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
[attachment=1743]RomanArmySchool2012.jpg[/attachment]

Further details of the Roman Army School have been added to the Hadrianic Society website and an application form, including details of cost, can be downloaded from the relevant page, http://www.hadrianicsociety.com/page3.htm. A provisional timetable will be posted as soon as it is available.

Early booking is encouraged in order to establish numbers and either the full cost or a deposit of £30 can be sent with the application. If a deposit is paid, the balance should be sent by the 31st January. Having said that, late-comers to this thread should not be deterred from applying, even if it is after the 31st January. A couple of years ago, two people attended who had only found out about the School a fortnight before it started.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael King Macdona

Hi

Work permitting I should be there too. Will look forward to meeting you again.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Hi

Work permitting I should be there too. Will look forward to meeting you again.

Graham.

Indeed. And I, you.
Michael King Macdona

A provisional programme for the 2012 Roman Army School has now been issued.

[attachment=2082]RomanArmySchoolProvisionalProgramme.pdf[/attachment]

The School itself starts with dinner on the Saturday evening.

Attached Files
.pdf   RomanArmySchoolProvisionalProgramme.pdf (Size: 79.91 KB / Downloads: 0)
Michael King Macdona

The provisional programme has been added to the Hadrianic Society's website. The relevant page (http://www.hadrianicsociety.com/page3.htm) now has this, an outline of the School and details of the venue plus a link to download an application form for those who have not already applied to attend.
Michael King Macdona

A brief update on the provisional programme: Val Maxfield's lecture on the Monday evening now has a title.
Michael King Macdona

Just a reminder to those who might still be considering attending the Roman Army School but have not applied yet that, if possible, the organisers would like numbers (and the money) by the end of the month. That said, as I have mentioned in a previous post, anyone coming to this thread after then (or any who do not feel able to commit themselves at this stage) should not feel deterred from making a late application. Just give the organisers as much notice as you can; every effort will be made to accommodate you.
Michael King Macdona

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army School, Durham, 2024 Renatus 0 359 11-18-2023, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Roman Army School, Durham, 2023 Renatus 1 523 12-28-2022, 08:12 AM
  Roman Army School, Durham, 2020 Renatus 1 7,682 01-10-2020, 05:36 PM