Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman swords of the Marcomannic Wars
Hello,

I just would like to ask what types of swords are known from this period. Could Roman soldier be still equipped with gladius at this time? I know that spathae and ring-pommel swords were quite popular, but I am not sure about old gladii.
Finally, did soldiers still carry their swords on the right side?

Thank you very much.
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia
The Pompeii style sword was still in use at this time, and to my knowledge, the gladius would still be worn upon the right side.

Someone else will have to answer what other swords were available at this time (166-180AD)
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
I am currently waiting on a reproduction of the Cantebury Kopki sword, which I was assured was of the correct time frame. Also ring pommel swords are of the correct period, from what I understand!
As well as the pompey!

Hope that is of help and not misleading! Cool

Edit: sorry missed you reply Matt!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I am currently waiting on a reproduction of the Cantebury Kopki sword, which I was assured was of the correct time frame. Also ring pommel swords are of the correct period, from what I understand!
As well as the pompey!

Hope that is of help and not misleading! Cool

Edit: sorry missed you reply Matt!

Thank you! To be honest I thought that gladii were already a bit old for this period.
But I think in 166 they could be still quite popular. However, I would like to ask you (maybe your own opinion)if they were still in use a bit later - about 170 - 180 AD. I guess they started to be gradually replaced by spathae and ring pommel swords more and more?
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia
To be honest, I cannot recall the sources of this , but I understand the gladii of the Pompiensis type were still about.
I believe a lot of the problems encountered by Aurelius were due to the Marcomannii adopting Roman fighting techniques, learned from captured and defecting Roman troops.
Again, this is something I have picked up on here, but if so, this would have had an effect on the weapons employed too.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marcus\' levy during the Marcomannic Wars Epictetus 8 2,656 01-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Senior Officers of the Marcomannic Wars MVinc 17 4,567 01-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Roman legions of the Second Marcomannic War Fabrício Menardi 0 1,313 09-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Fabrício Menardi