Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THANK YOU!
<em>Legion</em> has now been in print for about a year, and I want to use its first anniversary as an occasion to thank all the members of Roman Army Talk who have helped to make it a very successful year indeed. I won’t risk mentioning everyone individually, because I fear I might leave someone out. So I’ll simply say to everyone, from Jenny on down, that I am profoundly grateful for your generous comments and warm reviews. Naturally, some reviews have been less than favorable. That is to be expected, though never pleasant. Being lanced in public is far from painless. Yet sometimes I simply had to smile and shake my head and wonder if my book was really the one that had been read. Nonetheless, even unfavorable remarks teach the writer something, perhaps more than kind ones do. So I thank you all, happy and ornery alike. I have to admit not being particularly fond of anonymous remarks (Roman aliases don’t count), but I realize each writer has his own reason for this, often unrelated to the review itself.<br>
<br>
The word-of-mouth generated by RAT has, I’m convinced, been absolutely vital to this book’s success. It could not have happened without the support of this very special legion. I wish <em>BONA FORTUNA</em> to all of you.<br>
<br>
Bill Altimari<br>
author of <em>Legion: A Novel of the Army of Rome</em><br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Ave,<br>
<br>
I'm planning to purchase this novel very soon, and I'm eagerly anticipating a good read. As a dedicated bibliophile, I should take this opportunity to thank the author for writing a book about my favorite time period!<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Gaius Marius Aquilus <p></p><i></i>
You're very welcome!<br>
<br>
Bill Altimari <p></p><i></i>
Bill,<br>
<br>
My apologies for being a little overly harsh with my criticism of your novel. I think that my major complaint was that your book offered so much, but just lacked that final polish.<br>
<br>
I did find that there could have been a little more character development. I would have liked to have learnt more about the early career of Rufio, the early days in Gaul and years in Spain. Similarly, I would have liked to have seen more from the Gaulish characters. The Athena-like birth was quite inspired, it was just a shame that many of the native players in the story remained so one-dimensional.<br>
<br>
The slave traders also had great possibilities and in their case, their evil characters were carefully cultivated, sadly, their demise just seemed so swift.<br>
<br>
My other comment was that occasionally the amount of historical detail was a little much. Although I commend you for attempting to make your story as accurate as possible, there were points where the story became bogged down with information that was not necessarily needed. Personally though I would prefer a little too much accurate information rather than the author twisting distorting history to fit it in with his plot line. A criticism I have with Conn Iggulden’s latest novel.<br>
<br>
In my humble opinion this book has a lot of potential but was let down because it really could have done with a final, objective proof read to iron out the few issues. All said and done, you have written a better book than I ever will and bar Mr Hard-to-please here, the vast majority of people have nothing but praise for your book.<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=caiusmariusseverus>Caius Marius Severus</A> at: 6/21/04 1:43 pm<br></i>
Caius:<br>
<br>
You wrote a sincere and straightforward review. No apologies are necessary.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
Bill Altimari <p></p><i></i>
Perfectly agree, a little constructive criticism never hurt anyone...<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p><br>
--------------------<br>
<br>
"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they are realities, and are often even more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are."<br>
-- Niccoló Machiavelli, <em>The Discourses</em>, 1517. </p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson