Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Late Roman Army Grade/Rank List under Anastasius
Nathan wrote:

From the 4th century onwards a legion was an infantry numerus, and Vegetius describes the two tribunes who commanded it.

Can I impose on you and ask for the reference please.

Nathan wrote:
Three times on Slab B the unit is described as a legion, and/or the troops as legionaries.

Understood, but that is Slab B. I believe Slab C is a different matter, and more like auxiliaries to the legion.

You have also omitted the 10 signifii commanding 10 centuries in your model. How do you explain them?

Nathan wrote:
The six tribunes of the old legion probably vanished in the later 3rd century...

When there is no proof then it is speculation.

Nathan wrote:
with the demise of the old equestrian cursus (last attested under Probus); by the tetrarchic era the centurionate seems to have expanded to fill the gap, with double-cohort legion vexillations being commanded by praepositii of what appears to be centurion grade (i.e. centuriones ordinarii).

Praeositii appear in the principate and did not replace the office of the military tribune.

Nathan wrote:
The tribunes and prefects that commanded the 'new' legions of the 4th century seem to have risen from the ranks via the Protectores or been appointed directly, as Vegetius suggests.

But Vegetius does not formerly state this happened.

Nathan wrote:
A cavalry numerus (or vexillatio) could have numbered c.300 men, but there is only one unit on this list, under the command of the τριβονος το ριθμο (literally 'tribunus of the arithmos'). Either the cavalry are part of the numerus, or they are not actually cavalry!

Tribunus of the arithmos, now that is music to my ears. My hunch is the number of ordines in a infantry numerus is equivalent to the number of squadrons in a cavalry numerus.

Nathan wrote:
No reason to assume additional cavalry units are involved.

I find it better to explore all possibilities before dismissing without investigation. It the way I work...look at a coin from all angles.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Late Roman Army Grade/Rank List under Anastasius - by Steven James - 06-29-2017, 08:53 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,329 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,745 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Roman camps UK - is there a database or list? Steve Kaye 55 10,968 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Alan316