Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Late Roman Army Grade/Rank List under Anastasius
During the 5th and 6th centuries a numerus wasn't subdived by banda. I have described that issue in my work (Römische Militärgeschichte, Rekonstruktionsversuch) at p. 183 footnote 2 and ff. p. 184.
On superficial examination, the Strategicon only proves that bandum and numerus, must be evaluated (more or less) synonymous. However, a closer examination shows a differentiation between both termini. Here the bandum with its comites - there the numerus with its tribuni. Here the cavalry - there the infantry. And indeed, I'm able to prove it epigraphically and literary.
We see an official subdivision of a numerus in different banda not before the tractatus of Nikephoros II. Phokas and Nikephoros Ouranos - epigraphically however a bit earlier.

But I don't want deny the possibility that the Strategicon could be used to find new explanations.
The key to reappraise the unit and its internal structure is the answer to the question of the origin our unit. Quite neutral you should ask yourself the question which group in the history of roman military possessed cavalry on such a high quota - grouped together with infantry. Οὐερεδάριοι were neither an elite unit, nor were they messengers.
I have devoted an entire chapter to this question in my forthcoming new work - which also offers a new and modern translation of book 12B - with the illustration of the Greek text.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Late Roman Army Grade/Rank List under Anastasius - by Marcel Frederik Schwarze - 08-17-2016, 10:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,485 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,818 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Roman camps UK - is there a database or list? Steve Kaye 55 11,092 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Alan316