Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Late Roman Army Grade/Rank List under Anastasius
Quote:
Renatus post=294275 Wrote:There is a parallel translation, A.C. Bandy (trans.), Ioannes Lydus on Powers or the Magistracies of the Roman State, Philadelphia, 1983. I can give you the list of offices from that translation, if you wish.
Yes please! Is the book in itself worth the buy? (although unavalable these days I noticed).

The 'A' in A.C. Bandy stands for 'Anastatsius', btw.. ;-)

Here is the list from Bandy's translation, including an introductory passage that seems relevant (Lyd.1.46):

"However, since the entire populace from the beginning served as soldiers, they decided to set up a definite, action-ready force: units of three hundred shield-bearers, which they called cohortes, and alae, namely, 'troops,' of six hundred horsemen; vexillationes of five hundred horsemen; turmae of five hundred archer-horsemen; and legiones of six thousand foot soldiers and the same number of horsemen. The legiones, however, had the following parts:

alae, of six hundred horsemen
vexillationes, of five hundred horsemen
turmae, of five hundred archer-horsemen
legiones, of six thousand infantrymen
tribuni, tribunes
ordinarii, company commanders
signiferi, standard-bearers
optiones, chosen men or registrars
vexillarii, ensigns
mensores, camp-surveyors
tubicines, infantry buglers
bucinatores, cavalry buglers
cornicines, hornblowers
andabatae, mailed troops
metatores, land surveyors
arquites and sagittarii, archers and arrow-bearers
praetoriani, praetorians
lanciarii, lance-throwers
decemprimi, heads of cavalry troops of ten
beneficiales, those who are charged with giving medical aid to the veterani
torquati, those who wear necklaces
brachiati or armilligeri, bracelet-wearers
armigeri, arms-bearers
munerarii, servants
deputati, those appointed for a specific task
auxiliarii, auxiliary troops
cuspatores, gaolers, for the Romans call wooden fetters cuspus, custodes pedum, as it were, that is to say, foot-binders and foot-wardens
imaginiferi, image-bearers
ocreati, infantrymen whose calves are fortified with iron greaves
armatura prima, first arms practice
armatura semissalis, advanced arms practice
hastati, spearmen
tesserarii, those who announce the watchwords to the soldiery at the time of encounter
draconarii, bearers of the dragon standard
adiutores, adjutants
samiarii, the polishers of the arms
vaginarii, scabbard-makers
arcuarii, bow-makers
pilarii, javelin-men
verutarii, quoit-throwers
funditores, slingers
ballistarii, catapult-men (a catapult is a kind of siege-engine; it is called by the soldiery 'wild ass')
vinearii, wall-fighters
primoscutarii, defenders, who are now called protectores
primosagittarii, first archers
clibanarii, those who wear coats of mail, for the Romans call iron coverings celibana, namely, celamina
flammularii, those at the end of whose spear scarlet banners were suspended
expediti, well-girt, lightly clad, ready for battle
ferentarii, skirmishers
circitores, those who go about the fighters and give them arms since they themselves do not yet know how to fight
adoratores, veterani, tirones, about whom, I believe, I must explain in detail"

Lydus goes on to define the last three at length (Lyd.1.47). The following are excerpts:

"The Romans call the honorably retired soldiers adoratores . . . but they call those who have grown old in arms veterani . . . the so-called tirones give themselves for service to those who are truly soldiers because they are not, in fact, worthy up to this point to be called soldiers . . . on account of the beggarliness of their station in life and inexperience in fighting . . ."

It seems clear that Lydus is labouring under a number of misconceptions deriving, presumably, from his attempt to combine several disparate sources, both Roman and Greek, ranging from the Republic to the 5th century.

As to whether it is worth buying the translation, Lydus is a frequently cited source and I would have thought it is worth having, if it can be bought at a reasonable price. I see that there is a used copy available in the States for $197 - more than I am prepared to pay! I do not have the whole book myself: only a few pages that I copied in a library many years ago. Fortunately, they include the passages quoted above.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Late Roman Army Grade/Rank List under Anastasius - by Renatus - 08-24-2011, 10:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,323 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,745 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Roman camps UK - is there a database or list? Steve Kaye 55 10,967 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Alan316