Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7 Century BC bronze lost wax belt buckle
Hi Guys,
I want to share with you some steps of my last work, a Villanovan / etruscan belt buckle of 7 centuries BC. I hope this is the right section.

I am not very able with the language so I do a pictorial ... if you have questions I will try to answer ...

[Image: 1-4.jpg]
[Image: 2-4.jpg]
[Image: 3-3.jpg]
[Image: 4-3.jpg]
[Image: 5-3.jpg]
[Image: 6-3.jpg]
[Image: 7-3.jpg]
[Image: 8-3.jpg]
[Image: 9-3.jpg]
[Image: 10-3.jpg]
[Image: 11-3.jpg]
[Image: 12-4.jpg]
[Image: 13-2.jpg]
[Image: 14-2.jpg]
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Hi Guys,
...some progress...

[Image: 15-2.jpg]
[Image: 16-2.jpg]
[Image: 17-2.jpg]
[Image: 18-2.jpg]
[Image: 19-2.jpg]
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Hi,
The second half is completed, after needle files and sandpaper I used buffing wheel so now it's too glossy and too many highlights in photo :-? in the coming days to be like as the first half and take some better pictures ...

[attachment=1522]20.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1523]21.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1524]22.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CIAO from Italy

Marco
Great photo essay!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
absolutely amazing, stunning, and i envy!!!! can i ask what material is good for the cast itself???
regards,

Sam
Samuel J.
Thanks guys,
Sam, what do you mean by material? Metal?
I only use bronze make myself.

Bronze is an alloy that has a lot of fluidity and plays good detail, pure copper is not so good for investment casting.
One time I tried to melt brass and do not want to merge more ... I never liked, has soiled all my crucible and strange colored flames Confusedhock:

I hope you mean this, ask me again if I'm wrong ... I'm impractical to english language and I make many mistakes!
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Sorry for late reply, but I was meaning the cast material...A putty? Also, how do you successfully make the mold so you can take out the wax? I ask because I want to make a cast terminal knob for my sword, this would help. I'm not like, an adult with unlimited resources but I'm not useless either Wink I like to explore new techniques. I'm almost done making myself a 5 foot by 3 foot work table :grin: :grin:

Sam!
Samuel J.
Hi Sam,
it's investement, a special chalk used by goldsmiths.
When you have incorporated the model in plaster you have to flip the mold in a hot oven and the wax out leaving room for the bronze.
In simple words, but in practice it is quite complicated, if you want to learn you have to consider a lot of failures ... I have spent almost 2 years to learn!

For the first mergers I suggest sandcastimg, is much easier :wink:
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Ahh very good! Well I for my cast have used a wall paste...um..cement. Comes in a powder and add little water. Anyway, seems fine so far, just need to cast it!
Thanks for reply.

Sam
Samuel J.
Hi guys,
I finally had to take some pictures of the final result...

[Image: IMG_0003800x600-4.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0020800x600-1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0021800x600-4.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0024800x600-5.jpg]
CIAO from Italy

Marco
what are you gonna do with it? Make the whole belt?
Samuel J.
Hi Sam,
no, my job is done ... now another boy making the leather belt for himself.
CIAO from Italy

Marco
awww that's nice Confusedmile: what do you plan on next? You have finished all your workings! Hm.... now a quick question, there are some areas of brass I can't seem to polish on something, do you use the wire wool like you do?
Samuel J.
Hi Sam,
absolutely not, I have many other projects ...

For polishing I use a cotton wheel. I use at 1400 rpm, but Preferably 2800 or higher are better.
You can use abrasive pastes and the softness of the wheel allows you to polish all the details. With this method if you want you can polish the mirror surfaces.

Attention :!: is a very dangerous practice because cotton tends to fray and hook your object throwing you if you are not against practical ... If you do not have experience do not use this for blades !!!!!!!!!
CIAO from Italy

Marco
HAHA yeaaaah, I have a cotton wheel, and I've tried my sword, at the tip, hooked on and threw it out my hand about 5 feet away! Like, not at me :o so lucky. I have also learned that other than being pulled into the machine from a shirt etc, it's quite harmless other than what you're polishing. I've made a couple rings an had my hand polished pretty well too! I still have to sand my blade AGAIN and then polish :S

I just have some areas that are not polishing!! Pastes?!

Sam
Samuel J.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tekije buckle 1st century AD Marcus Mummius 117 31,997 04-24-2018, 06:41 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  4th Century Roman Belt Color Antoninus05 9 4,743 02-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Damien Deryckère
  Can Anyone Identify This Bronze Belt Plate? Creon01 7 2,087 02-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Decebalus