Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
map of all Roman army museums & sites
A fellow living near Munich told me many museums along the Limes have Roman military collections, even if they don't advertise such.

"Robin wright
Your welcome. Yea, most Roman museums Ive visited have military items in their collection such as swords, helmets, gravestones of soldiers, diplomas, etc. although it might not be the focus of the collection. Same with many cities...one time or another there was a battle, troop movement, veteran settlement, etc. It might be difficult to really categorize many of these outside of the border regions. Thats why I thought the more the merrier, especially if people use the map as a reference for a trip to know what they can see in the area.

Kastell biriciana in Weißenburg, Germany with its Römermuseum can be added...one of the many places along the Limes in Germany. (Im living in Munich right now so I try to see as much as possiblein the area.)
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I am trying out separating themes with icons and layers. Blue anchors indicate museums with Roman naval interest location: only four so far. I included the location of the Greek rerpoduction trireme near Athens since there aren't many of those in any case.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
I had suggestions in the FB group to add the Allard Pierson Museum in the Netherlands and the Wall Roman site near Lichfield.

And was about to ask about the Allard Pierson having anything army-like but Jasper beat me to it on Facebook.

But since I'm refreshing this, any new suggestions? I saw Vindex' list in the other thread on places in German. ,

http://www.allardpiersonmuseum.nl/en
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belgrade and Roman Ruins/Museums Longovicium 12 2,994 08-29-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Roman sites in the Cotswolds Purplest 9 4,063 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Purplest
  Roman sites along the Danube Jona Lendering 28 7,120 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Arahne