Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In search for certain articles
Hi all,<br>
<br>
For a research on gladii in non-military contexts I'm looking for a copy of two German articles I can't find in academic libraries here in Belgium.<br>
<br>
It's about:<br>
F. Hettner, 1901<br>
Drei Tempelbezirke im Trevererlande<br>
published in: Festschrift zur Feier des hunderjährige Bestehens der Gesellschaft für nützliche Forschungen in Trier, pp. 1-36.<br>
<br>
and<br>
<br>
K. Schumacher, 1911<br>
Votivfunde aus einer Röm. Tempelanlage bei Klein-Winternheim.<br>
published in: Die Altertümer unserer heidnische Vorzeit, V, pp. 108-113<br>
<br>
If anybody could help me out, I would be very gratefull.<br>
<br>
Hans<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hansvl@romanarmytalk>hansvl</A> at: 5/19/04 1:45 pm<br></i>
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
<em>K. Schumacher, 1911<br>
Votivfunde aus einer Röm. Tempelanlage bei Klein-Winternheim.<br>
published in: Die Altertümer unserer heidnische Vorzeit, V, pp. 108-113</em><br>
<br>
You'll have a job finding that, but I have a photocopy I can scan for you if you send me your email address (the plate isn't very good quality, though).<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks mister Bishop. It saves me at least one trip to Germany. E-mail address on it's way. <p></p><i></i>
That's "Doctor" Bishop! He's a PhD, you know, and even better, a practicing archaeologist!<br>
<br>
Glad you found your reference, Hans.<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
<em>He's a PhD, you know, and even better, a practicing archaeologist!</em><br>
<br>
...who one day might get it right ;-)<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:</em></strong><hr>He's a PhD, you know, and even better, a practicing archaeologist!<hr><br>
Sorry, Dr. Bishop. Never meant to be inpolite. For a punishment I will stand outside for several days in the pooring Belgian rain with an unbelted tunica.<br>
<br>
Hans <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hansvl@romanarmytalk>hansvl</A> at: 5/21/04 10:36 am<br></i>
I found the other article through the bookshop of Habelt Verlag in Bonn (for a very reasonable price).<br>
<br>
Thanks for helping me out.<br>
<br>
Hans <p></p><i></i>
Excellent news, Hans.<br>
<br>
Hope you find Roman Army Talk a useful resource for "networking."<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
I supose that you need an information about use of gladii in cult purposes. So this would be brief information that could be interesting for you.<br>
In Singidunum (Belgrade, Serbia, Balkan) in lower fortified part of castrum (Castrum legionis IIII flaviae) there is a still undefined architecture (personally I am convinced that it is part of mithreum) dated in III century A.D. So during the excavations some 40 years ago a bunch (I dont know how to call it in english) of gladii was found (it has never been pubished, nor photographed, recorded in any way, my older coleagues say that there was something like 500- five hundred of them (!) votive purpose(?). When they reached City Museum of Belgrade they disappeared. Few of my colleagues have searched for them in last few years but without any conclusion where they could be. I dont know in which archeological context they were found. Which part of building etc. etc.? SO i hope that this kind of info. can help you somehow. In next year i will be writing my ph.d. thesis about roman fortification of singidunum maybe i would find some new info. Right know i am doing some protective excavation in the vicinity of porta principalis. Feel free to send an email to [email protected] . <p></p><i></i>
Thanks a lot for the information, Arahne. Yes, I am looking for information on the votive use of weapons.<br>
500 gladii from one context, it's almost unbelievable! Too bad they are missing without a trace, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they were coming from a Mithraeum, since that religion has a kind of militaristic structure. I will have to look up the exact reference, but in one of the more 'recent' ( ) volumes of JRMES an article was published on the arms and armour from Mithraea.<br>
The cult of Mithras became popular from the second century onwards, but actually, my main interest in the votive use of gladii (and other weapons) lies more in the transition of the well established Celtic tradition of offering weapons towards a very 'marginal' phenomenon of these votive actions during the early Principate in the North-West provinces of the Roman Empire. I'm studying this topic as a very important aspect of Romanisation.<br>
<br>
I hope your Ph. D. thesis will be successful, and I'm looking forward to hear more of the results of the research on Singidunum (especially in your search of the missing 500 gladii).<br>
<br>
Hans <p></p><i></i>