Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Cavalry Equipment by I P Stephenson
Has anyone read this book? I have Stephenson's book on Late Roman infantry equipment and was peturbed at the lack of discussion on rather important items (such as the spanglehelm). I'm concerned that this cavalry book may suffer from the same omissions.<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
Andy <p></p><i></i>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
Someone gave it a drubbing on Amazon !!!<br>
<br>
Apparently no discussion of the saddle was made ?<br>
<br>
Conal <p></p><i></i>
Here's my review, for what it's worth:<br>
<br>
ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2003/2003-06-26.html<br>
<br>
(Between you and me, the editors at Bryn Mawr felt they didn't want too negative a verdict, and persuaded me to sweeten my comments somewhat.) <p></p><i></i>
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I enjoyed the book, but felt that there were some major ommissions- e.g. no mention of masked helmets (Kalkriese type). I am still doubtful with the theory in the book that Ribchester -style closed helmets were used in battle, but could be convinced.<br>
I read this book in an evening; an enjoyable read, could have been a bit deeper. <p></p><i></i>
I know a certain author who has written similar books who does not have a very high opinion of either of the two books by Stephenson. Apparently he undermined the continued importance of the sword in his book. I can agree with that.<br>
<br>
Personally I found the Infantry book useful, but not overly much. No comparison to Bishop&Coulston. Even Southern&Dixon outclass him, and they have also received their share of criticism.<br>
But this does not tell you anything about the Cavalry book, sorry...<br>
<br>
There is a third volume on the brink of being published, about the Late Roman and Early Byzantine army.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I hated the Infantry drawings ... stylistically speaking.<br>
<br>
<br>
Conal <p></p><i></i>
There are better artists, sure, I agree. Also, i found this infantryman too 'ideal'. I mean, the stuff he had with with! For a 3rd-c. infantryman, I doubt this was standard equipment.<br>
<br>
And not a word about plumbatae.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
An issue I have with Stephenson’s infantryman reconstructions is the idea that locked scale was worn over a mail coat. In my view this is pretty unlikely. I have tried it and found the weight tremendous.<br>
<br>
Otherwise like Robert I found the book moderately useful. I will not being buying his cavalry one though, but this may have more to do with the fact that I have blown my entire yearly book budget on Simon James’ Dura book. It was worth it though!<br>
<br>
Andrew<br>
<p></p><i></i>
With his "Roman Infantry Equipment" essay, young Ian Stephenson wrote a nice synopsis for a still to be written book. Some of the drawings (Johnny Shumata is much better..) are the result of putting every type of armour known on a single figure and it deals basically with heavy infantry, implying there weres no other types.<br>
Besides the absence of spangelhelms, there is only a single type inspired by an unfisnished example of a Niederbeber type and the bowman has a medieval looking head protection that is not archaeologically attested, I think.<br>
No square scutums either --still in use in the IIIrd CAD-- and no light troops.<br>
Besides, an author that spends several lines to explain to the reader the use of a shield, for instance, is using a very well known technique in journalism called "line stretching". You've got nothing to say, so say it at lenght..<br>
Quote: "The shield was a portable obstacle placed by the soldier between himself and danger...."<br>
Nooooooooo? Really?<br>
I thought they used it as an umbrella.<br>
If his cavalry piece is in the same vein I think I'll pass.. <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>"The shield was a portable obstacle placed by the soldier between himself and danger...."<hr><br>
Cavalry p. 33. "To the Imperial Roman Army the shield was an extremely practical piece of equipment ... For those units which did use it, the shield was primarily a portable obstacle and the first line of defence".<br>
Sound familiar?<br>
Cavalry p. 42. "The shield was in many ways probably the most effective piece of armour carried by the cavalryman ... As a portable obstacle the shield covered the left-hand side of the cavalryman from shoulder to shin".<br>
Line stretching becomes recycling.<br>
(Looks like the whole book is like this.) <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Line stretching becomes recycling<hr><br>
Does anyone wants to find if this becomes even worse in his uncoming book about the Late Roman/Byzantine army?<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cavalry equipment of the first century A.D. mcbishop 4 1,629 03-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS
  Cavalry Equipment and Tactics on the Euphrates Frontier Mitra 2 2,057 07-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Mitra
  Contact info for I P Stephenson richsc 1 1,203 06-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner