Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foederati payments
Ave Civitas,

I was wondering if someone could point me to, or provide some information about how Foederati were paid?

Perhaps a specific Foedus would help in isolating a response. For instance:
In the Foedus between Rome and the Franks or between the Romans and the Danubian Goths, I believe the Franks were allowed to settle in Belguim, but the Goths no allowed into Bulgaria.
I would assume the arrangement between the Danubian Goths and Rome included some payment and access to specific markets crossing.
In exchange for the Franks getting to live in Belgium they were obligated to provide troops.
I assume that in addition to the land, they also recieves payment.

My questions are:
How was this payment delivered?
To whom was it delivered?
Was it a once a year payment or were payments made at the Emperor's whim?
Were there bonuses paid after a campaign where the Franks provided manpower (and assumed lost men in the conflict?)

Thanks a lot. You guys are great.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Hailog, Tom

I think payments and privileges vaired with each foedus. Constantine had a fairly open relationship with the Tyrfingi Goths, many used in his new palatine unit, and he required regular foederati to fight encroaching Sarmatians. He probably gave stipends, and he allowed free trade all along the river. The stipends went to the judge-magistrate, or reiks, and then parceled out. We don't know many individuals that interacted within this foedus, but Fritigern had clout with the Roman army prior to the 376 crossing.

After Valens' first war in 369, the Tyrfingi were restricted to one trade town and the stipends was pulled. This changed in 382 with the new treaty under Theodosius, the one that brought 30,000 Goths into the Roman military. Theodosius called up 10,000 Goths when warring against Eugenius.

Not sure about dealings with the Franks, but must have been similar. Certainly a bunch entered Roman service, many rising high up. Smile
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Ave Alanus,

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful.

I looked through Kulikowski's "Rome's Gothic Wars" and couldn't find much to help me. Do appreciate your help.

When I purchase a book I try to scan it all in. It makes it easier to look for specific key words that help in my research, but sometimes I just can't find it.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

I agree with Alan, each foedus could have been different and depended on the circumstances. If a treaty was agreed on after a Roman defeat, payment could be included. But if the barbarians had been defeated, the treaty would likely to be about them 'paying' the Romans, in troops usually. Similarly if the Romans agreed the barbarians to settle in some region, the latter would be the ones providing the service, either by defending the border and or providing troops.

Federates could expect to be paid in spoils if they were part of a campaign I think. Or perhaps get material from the Roman state (arms & armour). it's why Alaric wanted to become part of the regular army, allowing him to provide his troops provisions from the state.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ave Vortigern Studies,

Thank you. Very good information. I posted this same question to a Gothic Topics site and received a very informative reply from Dr. Ingemar Nordgren. He has a book, The Well Spring of the Goths (his thesis paper, I think and you can read a synopsis at Abe Books web site) and it covered much of what I was seeking.

The "spoils" makes sense too. An incentive for Alaric, I agree.

Thanks again,

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

I just looked up Dr. Nordgren's book, discovering it was written on earlier works, not much beyond the mid-20th-cent. Most likely it paints Goths as Germanic, not mentioning Cappadocians, Dacians, Greeks, slaves, poor Romans, and a host of ethnicities. So you might want to get a "second opinion." There is a wide debate on what Goths were and exactly who was a Goth. We have Kulikowski who refutes the reliability of Jordanes, and we have newer archaeological evidence that supports Jordanes and rebukes Kulikowski. Several other modern volumes are available, the Germanic perspective of Herwig Wolfram, and the anti-Germanic views of Matthews. Perhaps a middle of the road can be found someday.
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Ave Alanus,

Thanks. I ordered the book and it came in yesterday. Good original sources for information. Thanks for the tip.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

You're welcome, Tom

The Goths were a very interesting society. Much maligned, I think. We all know about Alaric. The encyclopedias tout Athanaric. Yet few people are aware of Safrax (who was probably of Alanic origin) and his partner, Alatheus (a Greutungus). Even fewer know of Fritigern, a true Gothic and Christian hero. The Gothic Bible had a feast-day set aside for Fritigern and the martyrs of Athanaric's persecution. If you read between fragmented lines of the historians, you discover that Fritigern was a well-known foedorate officer. Evidently, he convinced Junius Soranus to accompany him back into Gothia and retrieve the bones of Saba and several others. This is, as of yet, a basically untold story. :???:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Ave,

I had read that the Goths were an amalgamation of many people and I would guess they were more like the Alamanni and the Huns than perhaps the Franks.

I had wondered about Safrax too. Evidently the eastern Goths and the Alans had quite a bit of contact.

Thanks.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Guys, remain on topic please, for the nature of the Goths (already discussed here I think) we'll need a new thread, or continue an existing one.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)