Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about late Roman engineers...
Eventually I would like to make a tunica that would be appropriate for a late Roman junior officer in the engineers.

Are there any colors, patterns, designs, and patron deities that might be appropriate for a "uniform" of this type?

I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions!
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
Hi John,

As far as we know, the Roman army did not know the concept of a 'uniform'. Clothing, and this goes certainly for Late Antiquity, did not differ from what civilians wore, apart from the military belt.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert,

I recognize the distinction between a uniformity of clothing and uniforms per se.

I think a better question to ask would be, was there anything particular to the engineers beyond their job assignments? Were there minor deities that they worshiped more frequently than others? I'm just trying to think of something that would inform the choices I make for this "uniform," rather than it be something arbitrary.

Thank you for your response.
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
John,

I'm not sure. Since we're talking Late Roman, they could be nominally Christian or what have you, and I don't know whetehr perhaps older deities that might have been associated with the job of engineers, still had any function.

But apart from that, I've not yet come across any military brand (soldier, engineer, what have you) which chose to decorate their tunic with something that made their line of work visible to others. What we can see (which is not overly much) is a lack of difference between civilian clothing and military clothing. In other words: soldiers probably either bought their tunics in the same shop as the civilian man, or were issued with tunics by the state that did not differ from what was sold on the town market.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thank you again for your response, Robert.

I'll look at the chapter of Vitruvius on 'machines.' Perhaps one of his little tangents/asides might be interesting.
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
Is it possible that the distinctions would be more noticeable when wearing "on-duty" kit? I.E. a different belt or sling arrangement to carry parts of a field weapon (ballista?) instead of a shield? Would they take this off along with their armour or just keep wearing it?

I am engaging in pure speculation here.
--------
Ross

[url="http://galeforcearmoury.blogspot.com"] Working on a segmentata.[/url]
Ross, thank you for your reply.

That's a great idea. Instead of elaborating on a uniform, I could make a bag/satchel for tools particular to an engineering task.
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
Quote:I am engaging in pure speculation here.

Be careful, some members despise the word "speculation" here. lol
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
True, but it sounds more dignified than "I don't really know anything about what you asked, but here's my 2 cents anyways..." Wink
--------
Ross

[url="http://galeforcearmoury.blogspot.com"] Working on a segmentata.[/url]
Isn't everyone allowed their two cents on subjects that can really ONLY be speculated upon?
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
Quote:Isn't everyone allowed their two cents on subjects that can really ONLY be speculated upon?

Speculating in my opinion is necessary, especially since we only have a fraction of the actual equipment, writings, and what have you. Some others disagree, strongly. You have been warned :o
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Thanks for the warning, Matt.

My interest is to make things that are inspired by Roman examples using period techniques, (or as close to the period technique,) as I am able. I'll be sure to mention this in case any RAT-creativity police are watching.

Vale!
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
Quote:
Ventus Draconis post=293252 Wrote:I am engaging in pure speculation here.

Be careful, some members despise the word "speculation" here. lol

Yes, 'tentative reconstruction' sounds better Wink
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
"Tentative reconstruction" it is , Paul. Thanks for your response.

While I enjoy reading about the history, I'm more interested in the daily life, the daily experiences of the people who lived behind all of the 'trumpet and banner' history. I'm under the impression you've had a taste of this in your various marches.

Vale!
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding the Wear of Late Roman Tunic chukissaki 3 1,862 04-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman belts- question... Caballo 9 3,315 08-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Question of late roman greaves and banbraces Titus Amatius Paulus 3 1,467 06-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat