Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Profile of a mid 5th century Roman soldier.
And adding on Gothic fashion, Sidonius again, describing a Gothic prince and his retinue. Whilst this is not "line of battle" garb, as in all armies, soldiers spend only a tiny fraction of their time actually in battle. I like the fact that he was writing to someone interested in military things- perfect for RAT!

To his friend Domnicius *
c. A. D. 470

You take such pleasure in the sight of arms and those who wear them, that I can imagine your delight if you could have seen the young prince Sigismer 1 on his way to the palace of his father-in-law in the guise of a bridegroom or suitor in all the pomp and bravery of the tribal fashion. His own steed with its caparisons, other steeds laden with flashing gems, paced before and after; but the conspicuous interest in the procession centred in the prince himself, as with a charming modesty he went afoot amid his bodyguard and footmen, in flame-red mantle, with much glint of ruddy gold, and gleam of snowy silken tunic, his fair hair, red cheeks and white skin according with the three hues of his equipment.

But the chiefs and allies who bore him company were dread of aspect, even thus on peace intent. Their feet were laced in boots of bristly hide reaching to the heels; ankles and legs were exposed. They wore high tight tunics of varied colour hardly descending to their bare knees, the sleeves covering only the upper arm. Green mantles they had with crimson borders; baldrics supported swords hung from their shoulders, and pressed on sides covered with cloaks of skin secured by brooches.

No small part of their adornment consisted of their arms; in their hands they grasped barbed spears and missile axes; their left sides were guarded by shields, which flashed with tawny golden bosses and snowy silver borders, betraying at once their wealth and their good taste.

Though the business in hand was wedlock, Mars was no whit less prominent in all this pomp than Venus. Why need I say more? Only your presence was wanting to the full enjoyment of so fine a spectacle. For when I saw that you had missed the things you love to see, I longed to have you with me in all the impatience of your longing soul. Farewell.

* Translated by Hodgkin, ii. 364.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:And adding on Gothic fashion, Sidonius again, describing a Gothic prince and his retinue. Whilst this is not "line of battle" garb, as in all armies, soldiers spend only a tiny fraction of their time actually in battle.

Sure, no disagreement here Wink
My earlier objection resulted from your combination of two citations for Romans in battle equipment and on citation for Goths without note that it is non-combat dress, creating the impression it were 'Gothic' battle equipement.

Sidonius is indeed a very good source due to his detailed accounts. Toward the Goths however he had, let's say, mixed feelings.
------------
[Image: regnumhesperium.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  6th century AD Roman soldier Agaton 15 11,120 08-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat