Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Spartacus Feature Film
Whenever a film maker says: "King’s film will focus on the historic facts surrounding the revolutionary" they are setting a high standard for themselves and their film. This is admirable. However...

Following up the above statement with this gem should give all of us pause: Spartacus will lead “a band of 70000 elite gladiators and 50000 freed slaves in revolt against the Roman war machine..."

70,000 Elite Gladiators ... Really? Confusedhock:

This production team should pick-up a copy of The Spartacus War by Barry Strauss. "At its zenith, Spartacus's army had consisted of 60,000 men." (page 173)

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/osca...07-26-2011

We might also note that the writer who pitched the script to Mr. King worked on that paragon of historical fidelity, 300. I wonder if Spartacus might empoly elephants or armored rhinos against the legions of Crassus ... ? :roll:

Of course, this film may never make it out of Development Hell, but, as always, time will tell.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
300 was based off of a comic version of history, not the history itself. Which is too bad. They should have relied only on history.

Correction: The film was "Based on Frank Miller's Graphic Novel."
According to the ancient sources, Spartacus escaped from the ludus at Capua with "about 70" gladiators. The film makers merely multiplied this figure by 1000. Showing restraint, actually.
And it is more removed than that for Miller based his graphic novel on the 1962 film, The 300 Spartans.

So 300 is a film - based upon a graphic novel - based upon a film - based upon history. Sort of ... :roll:

As for 70 x 1000 showing restraint -- quite right John.

Hollywood lives by the maxim: Based On A True Story - Everything is true, except for the parts we made up.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Isn't "70,000 elite" anything an oxymoron?????
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
It is, however, always hopefully a positive thing to see Hollywood turning its attention to ancient times. The results will have to speak for themselves - but one day somebody will do justice to a particular subject (i.e not Alexander).

Whatever happened to the supposed film about Hannibal (starring Vin Diesel?)? Or the Michael Mann proposed epic retelling of Thermopylai (presumably derailed by 300 getting there first?) which had both George Clooney and Bruce Willis vying for the Leonidas role?
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Who cares if it's loosely based on history it's supposed to be entertainment only! Can anyone name an epic movie based on ancient peoples that was historically accurate and was successful? I can't.
Quest for fire.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Can anyone name an epic movie based on ancient peoples that was historically accurate and was successful
Fall of the Roman Empire wasn't so far off the mark in some ways, for Hollywood. Admittedly, some of the story line was fiction altogether, but the situation and greater political bits were not bad, compared to some. Successful? Well, it's still regarded as a classic, over 40 years later.

And Sophia Loren, in those days, didn't need to be accurate. She just needed to be there....
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I think Joe asks an interesting question and I am at a loss to name a title, even with regards to many films set in the modern era.

Saving Private Ryan was certainly successful, but I would not hold that film up as a paragon of historical accuracy or honesty. (Band Of Brothers was certainly better in both departments).

However... I do not agree with Joe's implication, that entertainment trumps accuracy and therefore anything goes.

This is the approach taken by Riddley Scott, as elucidated by him on the commentary tracks included on the Director's Cut DVD of his film Gladiator.

Although it would certainly be entertaining if the Romans used Tiger tanks while Spartacus and the Slave Army were armed with RPG's, I doubt even the most jaded of viewers would accept such historical fabrication. (Unless, of course, it were a Zack Snyder film like Sucker Punch, where the battle scenes were very much like a group of ten year olds playing with their toy soldiers. "I've got a dragon" "I've got a Sherman tank." "I've got some samurai." "I've got some German solders. Let's play!"

That works for Sucker Punch, but not for Spartacus.

Just because a film has not achieved that exalted status of being both accurate and entertaining does not mean Hollywood should not continue to strive to make such a film, nor that we should not continue to demand that they do so. Of course, this is Show Business, and the bottom line does matter, so the deck is decidedly stacked against us.

Darryl Zanuck once said, "There is nothing duller on the screen than being accurate but not dramatic." Never the less he went to great lengths to make his opus, The Longest Day, as faithful to the history as possible. (With, admittedly, mixed results in this regard.)

This new Spartacus may turn out no better than the series currently running on the Starz network, but we can certainly hope that it will. As always, time will tell.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
There will be tons of CGI of course. As long as we don't see balls of fire, more balls of fire, on top of big balls of fire.
Come on baby
You drive me crazy
Goodness gracious ... etc.

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:There will be tons of CGI of course. As long as we don't see balls of fire, more balls of fire, on top of big balls of fire.

"Come on baby
You drive me crazy
Goodness gracious
..." etc. :lol:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "I Claudius" -- New Feature Film...? Narukami 33 11,079 09-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Narukami