Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Druids and King Arthur
Can anyone say if this is a good book please?

"The Druids and King Arthur;A new view of Early Braitain by Robin Melroe"
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
--- [removed]
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Or read the introduction and opening chapter here.

p.1: "In the final chapter we will show that while the Druids tried to protect the people of Britain from the comet that appeared in AD. 539, and the outbreak of plague that followed it with the monster-slaying Arcturus/Arthur, at the same time a descendant of the families that had ruled Salisbury plain for so long joined forces with another Briton to establish the Kingdom of Wessex and so maintain a continuity that was broken only by the Norman Conquest in 1066"

Continuities seem to be the big thing here. I wouldn't expect much from its historicity :roll:
Nathan Ross
Well, the book has the words 'arthur' AND 'druids' in the title...so its not looking good...
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
King Who? :-? Tongue

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
I cannot say that it is a good book, because that would be a fib.
Anything that links Druids, Arthur, the house of Wessex and the archaeology of Stonehenge isn't going to go well.

As Ronald Hutton (pretty much the only person writing on the subject that I have any respect for) said, the truth about Druids (like Arthur) will never be known....

but that doesn't seem to stop people from writing endless amounts of speculative garbage masquerading as history on both subjects.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Thanks guys, all very useful. Was unable to download(is that legal in any case?)but the preamble & 1st chapter has given me a clue ... not to spend the money :neutral:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Conal,

Good choice.
There never was a historical "King Arthur." Just a lot of writers capitalizing on a legendary figure. Wink
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Stay clear of it!
May the horse be with you!