Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Century Shoe
I'm going to start again on the project to make a closed-toe shoe, I think. For 4th Century in the West, infantry, what would be the best starter shoe to make? Some shoes seem extremely complicated, and I'd rather start with something that has a reasonable degree of success.

I have sewing gear, some skills with simpler shoes, 2mm and 5mm veg tanned leather, and some soft-tanned leather. I can cut lace of whatever length I need, up to 4 or 5 meters, using a lace cutter. What I need is a recommendation from someone who has made such shoes before.

Helps, anyone?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Is this what you were after

http://www.florentius.com/calcei-main.htm

Herigeas Hundas - Migration Period Re-enactment
http://hampshirereenactment.com/
Thanks, Bjarki.

Are these 4th Century? He doesn't say on that page, that I saw, but some little nagging thought says they are earlier.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'm not sure, I read somewhere that they could go as late as late third century. I plan to use the pair I'm working on for 5th-6th century Germanic kit.

Bjarki.

Herigeas Hundas - Migration Period Re-enactment
http://hampshirereenactment.com/
Quote:Are these 4th Century? He doesn't say on that page, that I saw, but some little nagging thought says they are earlier.

I believe those are 2nd-3rd century calcei.

For 4th century you'd be looking at campagi, something like THIS (which is a reconstruction of a shoe from Duerne, I think). Those pictured on the Piazza Armerina mosaics appear rather simpler.

I don't know whether anyone has patterns available for these later shoes, but surely someone here has experience of making a pair?
Nathan Ross
Interesting shoe, and pretty simple, compared to some others. Are those military shoes?
for infantry?
or cavalry?

Pardon my sounding like a newbie, but I can't seem to find much so far.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Could be either/both, as far as we know! There's not a lot to go on for 4th C footware anyway...

This thread from a few years back has lots of useful info and some natty reconstructions - maybe try PMing some of the posters?:

Deurne Shoe Thread
Nathan Ross
Now that I look at it, I remember that thread well. Thanks for the reminder.

I think all that's left is to get the old sock and duck tape out and make a pattern, cut a prototype in felt, and see how it goes. May work well enough the first time to get me on the trail, so to speak.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Are these 4th Century? He doesn't say on that page, that I saw, but some little nagging thought says they are earlier.
Fysical evidence for these calcei indeed dates to the 3rd c., but in this image from e 5th-c. MS you can see them too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vergilius_Romanus

Therefore I think that this type of shoe (which is much better suited for wet and muddy conditions than the low and more open campagi) lasted for much longer.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi,

besides what is shown on the Deurne Shoe Thread Nathan pointed to above, you could also consider Eyelet Boots. Although mostly connected to the 3rd century, van Driel says this style was around until at least mid 4th century (cf. Driel-Murray, C. van: Footwear in the North-Western Provinces of the Roman Empire. in Goubitz/Van Driel-Murray/Groenman-van Wateringe: Stepping Through Time. Archeological Footwear from Prehistoric Times until 1800, Zwolle 2001. pp.366).
Thanks, Martin and Robert. Congratulations on the website, Martin. Very nicely done.

So now I just have to decide if I want boots or shoes. Somehow the shoe seems less "soldier-like" though it might be just right. I'll be wearing leg wraps anyway, so I think shoes would be just fine.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First century shoe from Cologne Julia Langobardia 2 1,403 03-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Julia Langobardia