Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LIX Scotland: Legio IX?
As our guide drove us through Lix Scotland he mentioned that the town was named for an inscription not interpreted until much later, and that it was interpreted as Legio IX. Lix is west of Sterling and the fellow itself as evidence of the legion's presence, but I could not find anything about it. Any one know?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Thats a new one...I look forward to seeing replies to this!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:As our guide drove us through Lix Scotland he mentioned that the town was named for an inscription not interpreted until much later, and that it was interpreted as Legio IX.
Get yourself a new guide! Smile

The placename Lix probably derives from the Gaelic lic, meaning a hard slope. Other similarly derived Scottish placenames are Licks, Lycks, Leeks, Leaks and Lik. (The example you noticed belongs to three sheep farms: East, Middle and West, which probably accounts for the plural form of the name, Lix or Licks, rather than Lik.)

Now, if your guide had taken you to the village of Lviiii, ... :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Now, if your guide had taken you to the village of Lviiii, ... :wink:
The strange sound you heard at 13.03 GMT was me, laughing.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:The strange sound you heard at 13.03 GMT was me, laughing.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Your guide was probably just trying to cash in on Centurion/The Eagle movies one imagines...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Actually, Scotland was a bastardisation of Scuta-land....latin for the Source of Scuta for the Roman Army! :-| Honest! :-| Trust me........
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Actually, Scotland was a bastardisation of Scuta-land....latin for the Source of Scuta for the Roman Army! :-| Honest! :-| Trust me........

Nice one Centurion! :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Brilliant. Just goes to show the instant nonsense people can come up up, or dare to, against an audience they think doesn't know anything..

Just watched some Dutch tv travel show where they visited Macedonia, showing some monument (modern) to Alexander. The celeb (I think, don't know the guy) was elaborating about how Alexander managed to conquer the world (repeating his lines as if he had NOT just learned them the evening before: "Alexander was a military genuis. he invented the long spear, whereas before him, they had only fought with swords".. and more of that. Squirming but unable to do anything about it, I changed the channel. :roll:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)