Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equites sagittarii (late 2nd century)
If you are looking specifically for inscriptions, this is a good starting place:

www.manfredclauss.de

the database is fairly extensive and connected to all of the other major epigraphic databases listed on the intro page. However, these databases rarely include photos. "Ubi erat lupa" is great and has lots of photos but geographic scope is limited.

I normally look up the inscription in www.manfredclauss.de and then google the details. Often you will then find a photo. If not, you will have to look up the publication referenced in the database at your local library.

BTW, I have looked into "Römische Steindenkmäler" yesterday evening and not only does Flavius Proclus have a sword hilt behind his hand but the irregular form on top of the quiver is clearly the remnant of a sword sheath, i.e. he was wearing his sword on the RIGHT side just like other troopers.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany

Messages In This Thread
Re: Equites sagittarii (late 2nd century) - by Jens Horstkotte - 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Equites promoti indigenae: creation of a late roman frontier TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 1 2,263 01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat