Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equites sagittarii (late 2nd century)
Salve,

I will have to re-read his arguments for lack of swords but find this highly unlikely. A quick scan of the image base produces the following:

This guy is wearing the quiver at the right hip, no sword is shown but it could have been worn on the left in view of the location of the quiver:

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/o...Itemid,94/

This guy is wearing the quiver at the right hip, the straight line in front of his right leg may be a sword, if not, it could have been worn on the left in view of the location of the quiver:

This relief is inconclusive in view of the worn state:

This guy (not in the image base) is wearing his quiver on the back and DEFINITELY has a sword on the right hip:

http://www.ubi-erat-lupa.org/site/datenb...asp?Nr=423

My take on this is:

The last grave stone is conclusive evidence that swords were worn by some sagittarii troopers. Those sagittarii who would wear their quiver on the right hip would need a secondary weapon for close quarter fighting even more urgently than regular troopers who were at least protected by a shield. Therefore I assume that they will have worn a sword or axe at their LEFT hip which would not show up on grave stones because they always show the right side of the trooper.

This is just based on a quick scan of the image base. I assume that there will be more depictions of equites sagittarii which will produce more conclusive results.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
I have to qualify my statement that Flavius Proclus (www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/option,c...ew/cid,29/Itemid,94/)is not wearing a sword:

When looking at the image, there is something behind his hand and in front of his chest. I do not have access to my library here but I believe that I have seen other photos of this stone which show this more clearly and it actually appears to be the hilt of his sword.

I will need to dig out "Römische Steindenkmäler" and look again. Maybe somebody else has a better photo which may shed light on this?
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:This guy (not in the image base) is wearing his quiver on the back and DEFINITELY has a sword on the right hip:

http://www.ubi-erat-lupa.org/site/datenb...asp?Nr=423
Jens - thanks for posting that link, it's a great image! This section is particularly dramatic:

[Image: D0423_B3.jpg]

But what's supposed to be happening here? A ritual event of some sort, I presume, but it does rather look like two men fighting over a girl and being ordered to desist!:

[Image: F0423_B4.jpg]

I'm sure you're right regarding swords - we have evidence that sections of the Danubian limes were garrisoned by mounted archer units, who would surely have needed more than just a bow in their everyday duties...
Nathan Ross
Quote:But what's supposed to be happening here? A ritual event of some sort, I presume, but it does rather look like two men fighting over a girl and being ordered to desist!:

The website states that this shows the fight between Eteokles und Polyneikes.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:The website states that this shows the fight between Eteokles und Polyneikes.

Ah, thanks. So the lady in the middle is a personification of Thebes, then? I wonder what the significance of that might be?

I've just noticed that in the first frieze above the horseman appears to have shot the barbarian on the right in the eye with an arrow, after shooting the one on the left in the throat! Some notable feat of arms, perhaps? Confusedhock:
Nathan Ross
Thank you for replies. I see gravestones and other reliefs are important source for studying equipment and in fact the life of common soldiers. romanarmy.com is very helpful website, but I guess there is not everything (for example here in Slovakia there is a gravestone of legionary from Legio II Adiutrix, which is not included in romanarmy.com)

Are there any other sites similar to romanarmy.com? What is the best way to find all known gravestones for certain period or type of soldier? I guess this is not so easy as to write few words to search window and press enter.
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia
If you are looking specifically for inscriptions, this is a good starting place:

www.manfredclauss.de

the database is fairly extensive and connected to all of the other major epigraphic databases listed on the intro page. However, these databases rarely include photos. "Ubi erat lupa" is great and has lots of photos but geographic scope is limited.

I normally look up the inscription in www.manfredclauss.de and then google the details. Often you will then find a photo. If not, you will have to look up the publication referenced in the database at your local library.

BTW, I have looked into "Römische Steindenkmäler" yesterday evening and not only does Flavius Proclus have a sword hilt behind his hand but the irregular form on top of the quiver is clearly the remnant of a sword sheath, i.e. he was wearing his sword on the RIGHT side just like other troopers.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Thank you very much. I will check these databases when I need something to find.

But I have two more questions. Is it possible for horse archer (1st - 3rd century) to be equipped with lance?

Finally, what is your opinion about the armour and protective equipment in general? Would Roman horse archers have been equipped in the same way as any other auxiliary cavalry unit? (of course besides bow and arrows).
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Equites promoti indigenae: creation of a late roman frontier TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 1 2,252 01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat