Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spear throwing devices
Hello everyone
Does anyone know if the romans used spear-throwing devices such as the australian woomer or the aztech atlatl. I now these devices appeared in human prehistory in various places (convergence: independent inventions).

Since these devices add great power Confusedhock: hence range and penetrating capability, I have always been a little surprised :roll: that they are never mentioned in RAT. Does it mean the romans didn't use them? Any ideas why it wouldn't be used (not practical Cry , rather than then the romans, a very practical people, not having had the idea)?

Cheers
Salve!

There is literary (I believe Isodore of Sevilla) and epigraphic evidence (gravestones) for use of a leather or fabric sling (I am not sure whether that is the correct English term, the latin term is: "amentum") bound to Roman throwing spears (lancea) which would serve the same purpose as the throwing aids you refer to.

I am not aware of any evidence on separate throwing aids.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
One gravestone that seems to depict an amentum is that of Publius Flavoleius Cordus of Legio XIIII GMV - note that he is also shown with an oval shield slung on his back.

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/o...Itemid,94/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spear of Jesus TV Show(Spear of Destiny) Anonymous 4 2,572 04-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Anonymous