Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the longest you have been in kit for?
I only ever wore my Toga and when in Sicily I wore that for about 5hrs each day on two occasions when I took part in San-Cataldo at the La Pasqua celebration of the condemnation and the Crucifixion of Christ in San-Cataldo, I was also given the privilage of leading the whole Roman group to the trial which was a great honour indeed.
However when I read the average you guys have been in armour it's realy about the same as the ancient Miles who would I think only have worn their gear from dawn to dusk but then at times doing 10 to 20 miles march in that day.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:I'm curious to see what is the longest you have been in kit consistently for? What did your kit consist of?
About 47 years, mostly dressed as a late 20th - early 21st c. civilians (with a few short breaks as a Late Roman from time to time). :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
So could I enquire: how hard/comfortable is it to be in full armour for extended periods? How hard is it to get accustomed to it in the first place - and is there a big difference in weight and comfort between the various types - mail, scale, segmentata or muscled cuirass?

Thnx.
Avete omnes,
My longest time in an full infantry (legionary kit) - 12 hours during the event (The EU day) near Prague.

valete and best regards from Czech republic :-)
Radka Hlavacova A.K.A Titvs Iventivs Martivs
Tesserarivs Legio IIII FF
Castra Romana, Czech republic
"Concordia militvm"
Quote:So could I enquire: how hard/comfortable is it to be in full armour for extended periods? How hard is it to get accustomed to it in the first place - and is there a big difference in weight and comfort between the various types - mail, scale, segmentata or muscled cuirass?

Well, that depends, as many other things, mostly on the way you're starting the experiment. If you think it will be hard, it will be hard. I just started using my kit and never thought about putting off my kit between shows. You just have to get used to it and it will be no problem et al. Someone with a big weight can also cope with that, because his body is used to it. Of course working in muscled cuirass is way worse (as it is more stiff) as it is for other types.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I have worn armour and kit for every working day for more years than I can remember, and I re-enact for a hobby on weekends. Clothing and armour should be fit for purpose and easy to move and work in. Unfortunately some people wear reconstructed armour that is too heavy or just does not fit well. Even musculata should allow you to move, fight, march, ride etc.

I consider how heavy an armour is, and how well it allows the body to breath. Nobody is trying to kill me but it is also worth considering how much protection the armour offers. If somebody was trying to kill me the only consideration would be the protection offered. Weight would not be an issue.

Flexible and rigid scale offers limited protection but is relatively light and you can actually sleep in it.
[attachment=2031]DSC_0678.JPG[/attachment]
Mail offers great protection, it is generally heavier than scale, and you wear it over various padded jackets which stop the body breathing. And the more mail you wear, the heavier it gets.
[attachment=2030]CIMG7646-Copy.JPG[/attachment]
Plate armours like segmentata and musculata needs to fit you and your arming jacket really well. They generally offer great protection for relatively little weight.

The slightly all over tired feeling at the end of the day is a little like a good all over body massage.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
That is very nice indeed and I do think that I recognize that Chamfron one of my many creations, I have often studied that decoration theme of Mars being supported by one of the Gigantes and still can't work it out. I would like to hope there is someone here who can explain this, I do know the legend of the Gigantes but it is just why did the Roman artists depict it this way.??
Brian Stobbs
Quote:So could I enquire: how hard/comfortable is it to be in full armour for extended periods? How hard is it to get accustomed to it in the first place - and is there a big difference in weight and comfort between the various types - mail, scale, segmentata or muscled cuirass?

Thnx.

I own all four types and have worn them each for no more than seven hours straight. In my experience I find that the scale is the most uncomfortable while trying to sit. The length of the shirt combined with its rigidity makes it feel awkward to sit in. Although the weight is comparable to mail it isn't as easy to transfer some of the weight by using a belt. So, I find scale to be the most uncomfortable armor to wear for extended periods.

OTOH, I'm not used to wearing armor. I only wear it to half a dozen events per year which usually last two days on a weekend. Even then I do very little marching.

~Theo
Jaime
People, please remain ON TOPIC, or else start a new thread about armour elsewhere.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
For me it was about 40 hours or so in mail with doublers non stop (Yeah I slept in it) non , although the helmet was off a lot of that time and we did nothing more strenuous than the a few drill displays, being pelted with water balloons by the native children and carrying a light scorpio around a bit. In roman gear in general with armour off alot of the time I think about 6 days and again not doing too much hard stuff except for some fighting in the woods most days and the usual displays.
Conor Boyle

Legio XX VV (Legion ireland)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Longest pugio blades? Virilis 1 1,075 10-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar