Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review: The Gods of Battle: The Thracians at War
I was so pleased when I read about this book's imminent publication (it has only been released in June 2011, not Feb. 2010 as per the blurb). There are precious few texts out there about the Thracians, the brave, warlike people who lived in the region encompassed by parts of modern day Bulgaria, Romania, Greece, Turkey, Ukraine, Moldova and Macedonia. There's The Thracians, a slender Osprey volume by the same author; Thrace and the Thracians, a dry text by the academic Alexander Fol, and that's about it.

In my opinion, this is a "must buy" for those who have longed to know more about Thrace and its people. There's a foreword by Fol, and then chapters covering the Thracians' historical outline, their costume, armour, and weapons, as well as military organisation, their fortifications, battles and tactics and a good long chapter on the different tribes. The Thracians' history is covered in detail from deepest antiquity until the time of the wars with Greece and Rome, and their eventual subjugation. There are plentiful colour and black and white plates, maps, and good discussions on such controversial topics as the rhomphaia, the sica, and the falx. The author has spent considerable time writing this volume, and is to be congratulated on a work of excellence.

Five solid stars out of five.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  \"The Gods of Battle\" published sitalkes 1 1,096 07-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS