Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Hopscotch?
I vividly remember being taught at school that the children's game of hopscotch had been introduced into Britain by Roman soldiers. As I recall, they were supposed to have used it as an agility training exercise while wearing full armour. :lol:

I'm pretty certain that there is no evidence for this in the ancient sources, but does anyone else remember being taught this, or can anyone suggest a possible origin for such an unlikely claim?
Nick Harling

The Friends of Ribchester Roman Museum
http://ribchesterromanmuseum.org/html/fr...orrm-.html
I admit that's a new one on me.

I suppose the modern equivalent would be trying to "run" through a network of car tyres as quickly as possible putting one's foot in each tyre on the ground.

Remember doing that wearing 44lbs... Confusedhock:

Not sure how much of a challenge doing it on the flat would be, but then again one assumes the hopscotch game now is only a derivative of the concept.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
A Google search of "hopscotch Roman Empire" brings up a ton of hits. Here is one example, which seems to have been copied and reposted on different web sites.

It seems to be widely believed, but unfortunately I see no sources for this.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com