Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek bows
What type of bows do you folks use when doing Greek impressions? I see recurve bows for the Roman impressions but haven't seen anything from the Greek side.

Greeks did use archery for war right?
Though not perfect I have been looking at this one,

https://rudderbowsarchery.com/shopping/i...0ngp0a9n27

Edward
Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

Looks nice but did the ancient Greeks use this style of bow? I've seen on tv Macedonian troops using crossbows but haven't seen other Greeks using them only javelins.
Of course the greeks used bows. The simple bow is being represented from mycenean to classical times. In the 5th century the skythian recurve bow is shown as frequently or more frequently than the simple bow,used also by hoplites (meaning soldiers dressed like hoplites without a shield).
The Cretans became famous archers since the archaic times and till the roman times. They are believd to have been using the recurve bow. Some believe than in later times they also used a small shield,but i don't know the evidence for this.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Does anyone have a link to a place I could purchase or at least see one?
A number of makers produce Skythian style bows. While not comprehensive this may assist:
Skythian-bow
Peter Raftos
Thanks
Odysseus was renowned (and scorned) for his use of a compound bow!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel