Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teutoburgerwald
I have been wondering about this battle. How did the Germans break up three Roman legions ? I undertand it was an ambush in thick forest .
That is one of the most popular topics here. If you use the search function you will find literally hundreds of posts about this. Be careful of the terminology you use in your search, though, because there are several different names for the battle or location that people use. Searching for "Varus" might be easier.

But to get you started, here is one of my favourite threads on the topic: Battle of Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Excellent !! Thanks
If you don't mind watching the video in 5 parts, I found this documentary very informative. Nevermind the poor costuming lol. What a lot of people don't realize is that the 3 legions were traveling with a large number of civilians as well, I believe that they say somewhere in the documentary that the entire train of the legion was maybe 2-3 miles long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8bGRZKH20s
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need a little bit of help on Augustus and Teutoburgerwald. giantlemon 30 5,844 10-26-2010, 01:38 AM
Last Post: fiatjustitia