Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs on Trajan\'s Column
I was talking with a man while in Roman kit at the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, MA and he asked a question about images of dogs on Trajan's Column. He has published articles about dogs in more recent warfare. He had heard there are a few (or one or two, perhaps) on Trajan's Column, but had been unable to spot them in photos he had access to. I have Lino Rossi's Trajan's Column and the Dacian Wars, but the images of the various scenes on the Column are at too low a resolution to distinguish smaller animals.
I am really throwing this out to Dr Jon Coulston, in case he is lurking. With his project on the Column he, I think, might be aware of dogs' images on the Column and where in the sequence they could be found if indeed present. Anyone else is, of course, welcome to respond with any information you may have.

Thanks.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Hi
Quintius
at this link you cand find relative high resolution pics of the column
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Catego...ius_Plates

try it maybe it helps
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Thank you - those are wonderful and I can get the full resolution including zooming in. So far, no dogs, but I am going through all the plates one by one.
Quinton Johansen
you're welcome I hope that you will find your dogs I think I have saw some but I was looking for shields actually

as Romanian Trajan's Column is very important for me

Have fun
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
@Gunthamund/Gelu: great link, thanks. :grin:
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Quote:I am really throwing this out to Dr Jon Coulston, in case he is lurking. With his project on the Column he, I think, might be aware of dogs' images on the Column and where in the sequence they could be found if indeed present. Anyone else is, of course, welcome to respond with any information you may have.

I have checked with The Good Dr Coulston and he says no dogs, just 'the odd sheep, boar, dolphin and other edible creature'. So now you know...

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Doubly thanks to Mike Bishop for conveying Jon Coulston's comments. I did not think there were any dogs on the Column. Yes, all I was seeing were animals such as sheep, cattle, etc.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Now, how do I turn off the notification of replies?
Quinton Johansen
Are you getting confused with the Column of Arcadius perhaps? The pen and ink drawings of the base of that column show a Roman (?) infantryman guarding Gothic prisoners and he has a guard dog with him.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I'll check it out - links to the later columns (Theodosius/Arcadius) have been provided in another thread.

Thanks.
Quinton Johansen

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trajan's Column Protectores Donutici 11 4,629 02-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Lorica from Trajan Column base korras 10 3,351 05-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Last Post: emilio
  War machine on Trajan\'s Column Lyle 39 8,011 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Renatus