Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AH6058I Italo Corinthian Helmet (Iron) Review?
I have the opportunity to acquire this helmet for about $50. The previous owner had installed a plume holder (perhaps the plume holder is an option? but if it is, I have not seen it other suppliers pages) but there is no plume. I admittedly am very much more familiar with anything Roman although I did not want to pass up a chance to own this helmet.

How authentic is this helmet? I see it does not belong to the newer "N" models but perhaps that is just a Roman product thing?) I am having a hard time finding any information on this helmet on the web. Also does anyone who owns it know the size? I have a fairly large head (23" or 7.5 hat size). Is having the plume holder correct or incorrect for this model.

Any information on this model would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to make a mistake buying this helmet if it is a lower accuracy model. THanks
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Do NOT buy this helmet, it is crap and not historically accurate. Also, these helmets were never made from iron.

Save your money and buy something good Smile .

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Agreed
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Thanks guys, glad I consulted you first!

-Matt
So I take it even the brass version of this helmet is inaccurate as well? Both SOTW and Imperium sell the brass version, and Imperium gives an 8.5 scale rating citing that the biggest flaw is the thickness of the nasal piece, is this helmet based on any existing pieces or just produced in the likeness of other Corinthian helmets?

-Matt
yes the brass helmets are just as bad. do not go there. Just check some of the threads on here especially the photo threads of people showing their Greek impressions.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Funnily enough,this helmet WAS based on an ancient helmet. It was found in Olympia and is one of the very few corinthian helmets with ear cut-outs. Of course they bear very little resemblance to the above helmet. It became so popular i suspect because of Connolly's work(not intentionally of course). He has painted an evollution tree of all ancient greek helmet types,and naturally,that corinthian with ear cutouts is depicted as the last evollution of the corinthian helmet, not mentioning that its frequency is so low(i can't think of a second example off the top of my head!)
Nowadays.peraps more than half corinthian helmets of re-enactors have ear cutouts,and this is only but one of the flaws.
Today there are far better helmets to buy,but not as low as 50 euros. For 100-150 you can get better though.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Opinions on Deepeeka Italo-Corinthian helmet Martok 2 1,906 05-02-2019, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Athena Areias
  Chin Straps for a Corinthian Helmet faralli213 7 3,393 11-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Last Post: ose
  One Piece Corinthian Helmet by Matt Lukes Creon01 6 4,202 04-09-2015, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Creon01