Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portable Level? By Hispania Romana
I saw this on FB by a Spanish group. The right person maybe hasn't seen my question on it, but what exactly is it? It is in a group of photos with a groma, so is perhaps a portable level?
[attachment=1291]level.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Richard,I don't no what it is, but you suggestion may be right. How is you groma btw? My next project wil be the waterlevel as discribed by vitruvius and on a drawing in Dilkes book.
Vale
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
This might fit the bill:

Quote:Leveling the Ground: Water Levels and the Inclinometer
For much of their work, the Roman surveyors had to prepare flat surfaces or maintain an incline. For leveling ground, especially where it needed to be flat, the Roman surveyors used a rudimentary spirit level, which consisted of an elongated basin with a mark at either end to signify the level. There is little literary or archaeological evidence that they used this, but it was used by the Egyptians and the Greeks making it very likely that the Roman surveyors used it.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks, I think that fits it. This fellow is with the Spanish group Hispana Romana and has a large number of impressive reconstructions that have taken him years to research. The group is on Facebook but I'm trying to talk him into sharing here.
Another photo of him in Flikr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31667244@N04/3533382212/
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman portable sundial WIP MDF 23 4,970 09-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Last Post: MDF
  making a portable bench jvrjenivs 19 4,085 05-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Last Post: P Sertorius Scaevola
  Carpenters level Nemonius Agricola 17 3,166 04-28-2009, 10:00 PM