Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timasius and Stilicho
Ave Civitas,

I am working on a story about the battle of Frigidus. My research reveals that Timasius, related to Theodosius's wife, Empress Aelia Flaccilla, was pretty high up in the pecking order.

Theodosius placed him as commander of troops in the campaign against Eugenius and Arbogast.
When the battle was over however, it was Stilicho who chose to keep the legions in the West.

My question is, if Timasius was overall commander and Stilicho a subordinate general, why did Timasius not just say, "Sorry Flav, I'm taking the legions, bye."

My guesses are:
1. Stilicho was made Magister Utriusque Militiae and that put him as supreme commander of the Western legions. However, that still does not give him control of the Eastern legions.
2. Timasius was relieved of command (with the intention of sending him back east) but the orders were overlooked when Theodosius took ill, so had no control over the legions.

Any suggestions, thoughts, sources I may look up?

Thanks again,

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
I don't have my books with me, but I found Timasius being described in 388 as the Magister peditum (Promotus being the Magister equitum). Theodosius himself would have been in command himself, and Stilicho accomapanied Theodosius as Comes Domesticorum.

Timasius did run into Ambrose in any case. Theodosius backed down in that conflict, despite arguments made by Timasius (388). Perhaps that would have been a problem in 394?

By 394, Stilicho and Timasius commanded the army that invaded Italy. Perhaps Timasius was Magister peditum et equitum, which would have made him a general, but not the general? Stilicho was Magister Utrisque militae, and Stilicho (being related to Theodosius by family) would have been the senior figure.

Timasius went home after the victory, but he could not command the Eastern troops to go with him. Perhaps that was not the plan in the first place? I recall that later on, Stilicho kept some of the troops for himself (as Theodosius had kept some of the best troops of the defeated Magnus Maximus for himself). The border of Illyricum was also in dispute I think.

Whatever he was, he seems to have been an older man.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ave Vortigern Studies,

Thanks for the reply. I guess that makes sense and it answers a question of who ordered who around.

I really enjoy this site. It is a well of good information.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)