Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression
[attachment=1268]ComitatusDalby001.jpg[/attachment]
While all this is rather new and exiting, Confusedmile: I thought some images of my military occupation would be of interest to Fellow Pedes. I chose a sort of basis of a century's "field workshop" setting up on temporary stops on the march - doing the repairs of day to day items. Main basis is that of a carpenter's trade ( my dad was one) but with a little leather & metal work thrown in. Tool collection is based in what can be (to my view at least) carried in a cart. Would welcome comments for improvement!

Children also made in kit form as well....

[attachment=1270]ComitatusDalby001.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment]C:\\fakepath\\Dalby 2.bmp[/attachment]

[attachment=1267]generalshots003.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1269]ComitatusDalby009.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment]C:\\fakepath\\Dalby 2.bmp[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tadius
(aka Gary Ashby)

member of Comitatius: Legio Praesidiensis -
couple more shots of the workshop...
The Genius of my PC was not happy first time around...

Tadius
(aka Gary Ashby)

For photographs of your Roman encampment impression. Originally, the thread was to be called Show your Roman camp impression, but to British readers such as myself, this sounded a bit too like "Up Pompeii" with Frankie Howerd....
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:For photographs of your Roman encampment impression. Originally, the thread was to be called Show your Roman camp impression, but to British readers such as myself, this sounded a bit too like "Up Pompeii" with Frankie Howerd....

Good call... :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hi Tadius,
I have never seen a similar anvil, which is the function of the two circles on either side?
Can you explain me their use? I'm very curious ... thanks.
CIAO from Italy

Marco
It stops the anvil sinking into the ground from what I understood. There is a good example in the Edinburgh Natural History Museum in Edinburgh...(or is it the Scottish History Museum?)
The display there shows it with an agricultural scythe.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Greetings.
The item is know today as a "mowers" anvil. This example is taken from a find 3rdC context in south wales (will check the site later for you)
Its essentially small mobile anvil used in agricultural use. by workers to knock out dents & rough edges on scythes etc. They where still used in England in the 19thC.

You knock it into the ground,the side "supports" giving it balance. You sit either cross legged on the floor, or as I've conjecturally done in the photo, given it pro-temp and wood base to make work better on the bench.

I obviously cannot prove this, but in terms of a portable working service that fits in a marching bag to repair spatha edges and the such like,it really work very well! I'll post some pics for you tomorrow. :grin:
Tadius
(aka Gary Ashby)

Love the idea for this thread, and excellent camp photos Tadius!
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
I thought the guys from Germany at Old Sarum from Contubernium Primum were very impressive .

[Image: 4748855749_245504755e.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Here's a couple from our group Smile
I have hundreads :roll: but it's a case of sorting through them all!!

Hunter's Display of skins, furs, raw materials like horn and antler. And products of those things such as spoons, knives, water bottle etc. Also 4thC 'hunting knife' based on one at the british museum, nets, javelins, bows and arrows.

[attachment=1273]1_2011-07-10.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1274]2_2011-07-10.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1280]8.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1279]7.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1278]6.JPG[/attachment]

Part of the military street:

[attachment=1275]3_2011-07-10.JPG[/attachment]

Getting the young recruits to polish helmets, a very useful past time! :lol:

[attachment=1276]4_2011-07-10.JPG[/attachment]

Roman Board Games:

[attachment=1277]5_2011-07-10.JPG[/attachment]

Amy Wallace

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group
www.comitatus.net
Quote:Hi Tadius,
I have never seen a similar anvil, which is the function of the two circles on either side?
Can you explain me their use? I'm very curious ... thanks.

Greetings.Some images of the mowers anvil for you which I use in my workshop impression.

When hammered into the block , its better for work on the bench.
[attachment=1282]romantools006.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1283]romantools002.jpg[/attachment]

Use showing how you use hammering a rough edge (guest appearance by one of our hens as well...)

Sequence showing use in the ground as a more "in the field" tool

[attachment=1285]romantools008.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1286]romantools009.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1287]romantools011.jpg[/attachment]

Hope its of use /interest! :grin:

Tadius
(aka Gary Ashby)

here is my "shop"at romeinen festival last year the tarp i borrowed from LEG XV primigenia.
from Germany.And last weekend in Germany
Nic treath buy the way.

AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Hi guys,
thanks so much for the info!
I know a similar type of anvil for sickle but I had never seen such big wheels on either side ... so I think they were for a particular purpose and did not know needed to use on the ground ... brilliant!
I have seen some similar anvils but on a piece of wood without circles so I thought that this was different ... some old farmers still use them but always on a bench anvil. Many thanks for the explanation ... the chicken is very interested in your sword...attention, nothing is more resolute than a chicken with a sword :twisted:
CIAO from Italy

Marco
As far as I'm aware the 'wheels' are also used to store the hammer whilst at work and the whole contraption must hence have been carried on the man. That may account for different sized holes on these field anvils.
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
[attachment=1327]IMG_6936.JPG[/attachment]

One from Wallington with Comitatus!
The little field stove is extremely useful!

Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show here your Roman soldier impression TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 3,903 1,239,869 11-21-2018, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Marc
  Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression Paul Elliott 20 11,112 10-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat