Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caesar\'s Tenth Legion
I am wanting to do some research on Caesar's Legio X, which he relied on so much in Gaul. I am seeing lots of negative reviews of Stephen Dando-Collins' book "Caesar's Legion," and I understand why. I have also seen a positive reference to work by Hans Delbrück. Can anyone offer thoughts on all this? What does anyone think of these two authors? Do we know where and when Caesar's tenth was first formed?

Thanks!
Quote:Do we know where and when Caesar's tenth was first formed?

I can't comment on Delbrück, I'm afraid, but Dando-Collins, as you've suggested, is best avoided for serious study. Your question has actually been debated a few times here over the years, and you might find going through these threads useful:

Origins of Caesar's 10th Legion

Confusion Over Legion X

Legionary Recruitment in the Late Republican era (which is actually about the same thing, in fact!)

C Julius Caesar's Tenth Legion

The consensus is that we don't actually know exactly when or where the tenth were formed - some time between 64 and 60BC is the best bet, probably in Cisalpine Gaul (there's a note in Appian about their being raised from 'non-Italians' (or something - see the 'recruitment thread above!), which I've previously suggested might mean an origin in Spain or southern Gaul, but it's tenuous!).

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Thanks so much! I will definitely check out those threads.
I have read through those threads. Quite helpful. Thanks again so much. This is an absolutely wonderful site! A truly good use of the Internet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legatus of Caesar\'s Tenth Titus Labienus 10 3,677 10-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Sardaukar
  Origins of Caesar\'s 10th legion Severus 55 12,795 10-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  LEGION DISPATCHED BY MARCUS ANTONI USED BY CAESAR hadrianusauxiliary 1 1,407 11-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat