Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legio Martia
I was flipping through one of my books last night(From Republic to Empire: The Roman Civil War 44 B.C. - 27 B.C. by W.W. Tarn, M.P. Charlesworth ) and when reading about the early split between Antony and Octavian the Legio Martia was mentioned a few times. Then, during the description of the Battle of Forum Gallorum, the Legio Martia makes up most of Ocatavian and Hirtius army. I can't seem to find any information on this legion online(that being the only way I can do most research!) Can anyone help?
Aurelius Falco (Tony Butara)
The Legio Martia is mentioned by Cicero (Philippics I.8 ) as forming part of Octavian's army. From this we can assume that it was one of six legions gathered in Macedonia for Caesar's proposed Parthian expedition.

Appian describes the part played by the legion as the vanguard of Octavian's force in the civil wars, principally at Forum Gallorum as you mentioned. He also describes the final fate of the legion: on the same day as the battle of Philippi, the 'Martian legion, a name which had been given to it as a distinction for bravery' was crossing the Adriatic in transport vessels, when they were met by 130 enemy warships....

Quote:"The men who were exposed to this danger performed many deeds of valour. Sometimes they hastily warped their ships together with ropes and made them fast with spars to prevent the enemy from breaking through their line. But when they succeeded in doing this (the enemy) discharged burning arrows at them. Then they cast off their fastenings as quickly as possible and separated from each other on account of the fire and thus again were exposed to being surrounded or rammed by the triremes.

Some of the soldiers, and especially the Martians, who excelled in bravery, were exasperated that they should lose their lives uselessly, and so killed themselves rather than be burned to death; others leaped on board the triremes of the enemy, selling their lives dearly. (Appian, Civil Wars IV 115-116)

Read the whole account HERE

Possibly the Legio Martia were formed from men of various other units (discharged veterans?) at some point before Caesar's death.

Here's a tombstone of a centurion of the legion, Minucius Lorarius, which was found at Padua:

[Image: lg_MinuciusLorarius.jpg]

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Excellent thank you!

'Martian legion, a name which had been given to it as a distinction for bravery'

Is the name Martia a reference to Mars then?
Aurelius Falco (Tony Butara)
Quote:Is the name Martia a reference to Mars then?

Yes. Legio Martia means 'Legion of Mars'.
Nathan Ross
Fascinating.

:!:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA