Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ludis training equipment...
Hello all, i had a question some of you may have info on. Is there any literature on what type of equipment was used to train gladiators while alive in the ludis? :lol: Granted alot was probably based on live sparring but any good gym has GOT to have some kind of supplemental training equipment...thanks guys.
Aequat omnes cinis
"Ashes makes everybody equal"--Seneca
Joseph porcaro
We are told only about practice stakes and weighted training weapons. Vegetius "De re militari" I,11

"We are informed by the writings of the ancients that, among their other exercises, they had that of the post. They gave their recruits round bucklers woven with willows, twice as heavy as those used on real service, and wooden swords double the weight of the common ones. They exercised them with these at the post both morning and afternoon.

This is an invention of the greatest use, not only to soldiers, but also to gladiators. No man of either profession ever distinguished himself in the circus or field of battle, who was not perfect in this kind of exercise. Every soldier, therefore, fixed a post firmly in the ground, about the height of six feet. Against this, as against a real enemy, the recruit was exercised with the above mentioned arms, as it were with the common shield and sword, sometimes aiming At the head or face, sometimes at the sides, at others endeavoring to strike at the thighs or legs. He was instructed in what manner to advance and retire, and in short how to take every advantage of his adversary; but was thus above all particularly cautioned not to lay himself open to his antagonist while aiming his stroke at him."

He also mentions running and jumping as PT suitable for soldiers, so presumably for professional fighters too. Otherwise most of the ancient athletics practices may be reasonably assumed. I could easily imagine gladiators wrestling, for example. It's very clear from pictorial evidence that they sometimes grappled in the arena.
Hello, my name is Harry.
very interesting. I figured the post would have been an integral part of a gladiators training, kind of like the heavy bag to a boxer. And were was this passage of info from? please excuse my ignorance. :oops:
Aequat omnes cinis
"Ashes makes everybody equal"--Seneca
Joseph porcaro
As mentioned in the first line of the post, the qoutation is from Vegetius "De re militari" I,11 Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  training equipment Nick 11 5,650 07-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Last Post: hunjin
  Forming a Ludis? Dceptmusic 6 2,747 03-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Dceptmusic