Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Essentional equipment of the Legions: Rope
There are many obvious uses of rope within the Legion (and Reenactment)
Tent Ropes
Tying gear and tying up the mules
Construction / logging
Captives

And no doubt many other uses!

How many of you carry rope as part of your pack equipment?

What other reenactment uses of rope can you relate?

How about chains as an alternative or supplemental item?
(I can find few examples ancient Roman chain photos)
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
I do, but not really much. Usually just about 20 ft or so of 3/8". Just enough to be able to say, "And each soldier probably carried a length of rope".

If they stayed long anywhere, I'd imagine they twisted up some more from the local grasses/reeds. I'm learning to do that. Still pretty slow, but gradually getting more proficient at cords. And twisting two cords together makes a light rope, and two light ropes a heavy rope.

Different versions, but here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxKVTpdB_yI

Another use for cord: to string a batch of caltrops together.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
And also used between two spears to create the ridge of a dog tent and the guy ropes?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
or with cord a mkeshift belt. or if your thong is broken use as a replacement. to atach things on a furca. to help cross a river. to stabelise a groma. and so on,and so on.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
I carry both chain and rope but have found thinner cord is what I tend to use most so it just sits on my pack. Big Grin
[Image: Picture006.jpg]
Both chain and rope tied to top of bag Big Grin
Reagrds Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I read (somewhere???) that chain maybe a mis translation. Uses for chain are limited and you can't carry much of it. Rope, on the other hand, lots of uses, lighter to carry...
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
I also carry only (in my furca) some cord (20 meters or so)as some leather thongs. a rope is very heavy. but it must have been on the mule. it can come on handy very often.
btw Tony nice kit.
Vale
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Paul chain has excellent uses for heavy work timber and stone plus it does not stretch under load, I only carry what has been mentioned in books as 3ft X 4000 or so men that is a lot of chain for a small amount of weight. Plus I carry 10ft of rope again X 4000 men again is a lot of rope I will see if I can dig out the references to this.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I have found a reference, both chain and rope (called strap) are mentioned in Josephus the Jewish War. He describes what the soldiers are carring on the march which must be what he could see on the outside of the pack, as to the lengths I am still looking for that reference.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I am very familiar with Josephus' reference Tony Big Grin

I found my source questioning chain; it is Fuentes' article 'The Mule of a Soldier'. He argues against any possible use for a bit of chain, and looks at a text corruption for an entrenching tool, the pala. He notes that chain is never mentioned anywhere else, and that Josephus list is very complete, except for any kind of digging implement.
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
I can see what he is refering to, but the point of carrying this equipment is not for yourself, a soldier is there to help engineers to do the work needed, and for that, you need tools and unfortunatly poor miles like miself will be doing the donkey work. I have left my copy of Josephus at work and I believe he mentions carrying an axe, and may be this soldier was carring this, and not a Dolabra. As for the uses of chain and rope, chain has a lot of uses for enginering tasks. In the shipyards all the lifting or dragging of heavy material was done with chain. If you read the accounts of the engineering works the Romans did, too man handle any of the timber ect without the use of dependable haulage equipment seams a bit unbeleiveable. When doing research I have found that a lot of things that you would like to be mentioned are not due to the audience at the time are normaly well aware of the sundries, hence some of the most crucial info is left out as in our case, which is very frustrating.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rope Hibernicus 15 2,822 11-09-2007, 03:59 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius