Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about this cheapo corinthian helmet?
Lads,

If you scroll down in the mentioned Armae catalogue there is another cheap 'Corinthian helmet'. I can see it is made out of brass, but does that design have any major flaws or is it, like the bronze one, quite OK in comparison to the majority of the helmets out there?

Regards,

H. Nielsen
It has been very widely used till now,mainly because there was no rival to its price range. In my opinion it has many flaws. To name a few, it has ear cutouts which might have been present to...0,3% of corinthian helmets? Number highly unresearched,but to give you a picture,i have seen only one true corinthian with cutouts,now in Olympia museum, and i have seen maaany helmets!
It also has too long cheek pieces,wrongly shaped. It has an inauthentic border all around. Has badly shaped noseguard. Wrongly shaped brow-decoration. Wrongly shaped ridge around the head,that actually doesn't go all around the back of the head like the originals. Wrongly shaped neck guard. And i think these are the major flaws,though there are more.
And yet,this helmet has been the best one availlable for ages! Imagine what the others look like!
In the armae page there is also another corinthian,shown there in steel. That helmet is usually made in brass,and it is better in my opinion.Still has flaws,but they can more easily get fixed,and it averall approaches the ancient style better. But the new type that virilis found is in my opinion better than both.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
This one is mine, from India, via ebay, about 100 US$ and i dont think it is that bad...

[Image: HJGreek-1.jpg]

But the Armae helmet is growing on me, so i might sell off this one, and if the only things to redo are the nasal part and pushing in the cheekplates, that seems okay to me.

Would not go for the bottom one on the Armae site Hans, not too good, there are better ones available...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Hi guys!

Just got a message from ARMAE and they said that the inside measurements of the bowl are 21 x 19 cm. What do you think, are the proportions acceptable?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I would say that they are. It depends though,what are your measurements?
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:I would say that they are. It depends though,what are your measurements?

My measurements are 16 x 21 cm, so it is a close call!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Then you have to squeeze the bowl a bit. You'll gain some lenghth,and you don't need much. A cm will be enough i think.
Then again, it might not be that easy t o squeeze 1,2mm bronze. Even if it isn't work hardened.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Just got info from ARMAE that the narrower lower part of the neck is 21 cm and the cranium itself is longer, perhaps 22-23 cm. I think I will order this helmet...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Opinions on Deepeeka Italo-Corinthian helmet Martok 2 1,906 05-02-2019, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Athena Areias
  Chin Straps for a Corinthian Helmet faralli213 7 3,396 11-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Last Post: ose
  One Piece Corinthian Helmet by Matt Lukes Creon01 6 4,204 04-09-2015, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Creon01