Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about this cheapo corinthian helmet?
Just found this:

http://armae.com/antiquite/Casques_celte...bronze.htm

I like the simplicity of the helmet, one thing which bothers me is the ridge going through forehead all along to the tip of the nose guard, a feature that I have not seen in any corinthian helmets. In fact the ridge looks a bit 300`ish...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Edit. looked again.....

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
You must be joking! If we are seeing the same helmet,this is a great helmet,not comparable to the deepeeka corinthians(which i have seen only is brass anyway) and not worse than the DSC helmets.
Which is better alternative in a not-custom made helmet?
The ridge, well it is not entirely wrong. I would have preffered it flat,but there were helmets with a ridge in that position. Only,as you can imagine, it was much more delicate and well made.
In all i say it is a rare helmet(perhaps because it is new) it is made of bronze, it has a good shape, it is better than most on its category,and i hope that it is not too big (doesn't look so anyway)
Oh,and i would certainly not lough at it if i saw you wearing it. There is sooo much bad stuff out there and so little better than this!
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Thanks Giannis, I am not completely blind after all :wink: !

I know the right helmet is the Manning Imperial corinthian helmet but the overall "shape" of this cheap corinthian pleases me, I mean the shape of the eyes, their positioning, the bowl shape. I just might get this for a decorative purposes, I had the Deepeeka corinthian but it was just awful; made of paper-thin brass and big as a bucket!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
The bowl shape and cheek pieces are ok, but if the nasal part would not have had that ridge it would be much better. BTW the ancient bronze composition is comparable to present day messing/brass.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:The bowl shape and cheek pieces are ok, but if the nasal part would not have had that ridge it would be much better. BTW the ancient bronze composition is comparable to present day messing/brass.

M.VIB.M.

You're right. I was thinking if it would be possible to gently flatten the nose guard?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Yes,the nasal is the main flaw on that helmet,but not completely off. As i said,some helmets had a ridge going all the way from the forehead to the nasal, though it looked more like a sword midrib. It is not a big flaw,compared to the flaws of other popular and considered "acceptable" re-enactment helmets. If only all of them were of this standard!
And no,ancient bronze weren't closer to modern brass,which has way lower content of copper. It looks considerably more white/yellow/green than ancient bronze and yes,there are polished enough (thought rare) specments to compare with.
Now,phosphor bronze will look more redish than the ancient bronze i have seen, but not worse than brass. In the end it might be a matter of opinion, but modern bronze is usually much closer to ancient bronze than what modern brass is, with a variation of around 2% copper.My phosphor bronze helmet has 8% tin compared to ancient helmets that would have more like 10%,and looks red.Brass can have as much as 22% or more variation, thus,i would rather have bronze rather than brass used in greek re-enactment.
I am not very familiar with messing but i guess it is another bronze/zinc alloy with less zinc than what brass usually have?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Giannis, you just assured that the authenticity / price ratio of this helmet is acceptable Big Grin !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Because my word alone shouldn't be enough

[attachment=1191]3195a-l.jpg[/attachment]
In this one you can see the ridge on the forehead too

[attachment=1192]1444570162_5ad17bd5c7_o.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1193]ANCIENTGREEKHELMETS205.jpg[/attachment]
This one as i said has a ridge on the nasal but it is so very delicate

[attachment=1195]corinthtype.jpg[/attachment]

The helmet on the right has it
[attachment=1194]Chalcidian_and_Corinthian.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1196]CorinthianHelmet540BCBronze.jpg[/attachment]
And finally

[Image: nosex.png]
Khaire
Giannis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Giannis K. Hoplite
Wow, thanks Giannis for a very thorough presentation! Yes, the ridges on the real helmets are more delicate but they are certainly there Big Grin ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I would suggest thinning the noseguard considerably. The ridge will become less visible then,and you can adgust the shape to a more accurate one. I think it deserves it. And if you get in so much trouble,you can even do further adjustments,should you find them necessary. Then you will have a unique helmet!
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Thanks Giannis! I just sent an inquiry about the helmet size to ARMAE. Btw, there is on ARMAE`s site a version with a crest (new products). What do you think about that?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I don't like their crests.It would be so much better if you made your own (i haven't made a crest but i have seen people making them and generally having much better results than most retailers) And after all,you can have a great helmet without a crest(i know i know,i like crests too!)
Here is an example of modifications. I simply trimmed the nasal down,and pushed the cheek guards slightly closer. Doesn't it look like another helmet?!
[attachment=1199]Casque_corinthien_en_bronze.jpg[/attachment]
Khaire
Giannis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Giannis K. Hoplite
The modified nasal surely makes a difference, Giannis! I will wait for the answer from ARMAE about the size of the helmet but I think I will order the helmet without a crest anyway, no matter the size. I can always wear it like Perikles or keep it on my book shelf :wink: . Do you think that it is possible to make the nose guard narrower with a Dremel?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I don't know,i guess it depends on your dremel. But i know that cutting bronze is considerably harder than cutting brass! And especially if it is forged bronze,which i suppose yours won't be. But you should ask more experienced people than me.
Perhaps a fretsaw would be better...
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Opinions on Deepeeka Italo-Corinthian helmet Martok 2 1,939 05-02-2019, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Athena Areias
  Chin Straps for a Corinthian Helmet faralli213 7 3,446 11-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Last Post: ose
  One Piece Corinthian Helmet by Matt Lukes Creon01 6 4,232 04-09-2015, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Creon01