Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tuning 3th c. shoes into the 4-5th century ones?
Salvete omnes!

I have a spare pair of these 2-3th century shoes:

[Image: caligae.jpg]

I would like to turn them into a 4-5th century roman shoes. Is it possible to cut the leather and make them "lower", like simple Deurne style shoes? I don`t have the skills / tools to make elaborate decorative patterns so I wonder if it is worth the effort to try to modify them into acceptable late roman shoes?

Thanks in advance!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Make a mock up of that shoe in felt, do the cut-down, and see what you think the result looks like. I'd rather waste a tiny amount of money on the craft store felt than make a permanent change in a perfectly good shoe.

Just a thought.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
David, a good idea, thanks! Now I only have to find a good pattern for 4th c. shoes...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Hi Virilis,

Quote: ... so I wonder if it is worth the effort to try to modify them into acceptable late roman shoes?

- that depends on your definition of acceptable :-)
You might be able to get a semblance of one of the Deurne shoes out of them, but not really close IMHO.
Quote:Hi Virilis,

Virilis post=290501 Wrote:... so I wonder if it is worth the effort to try to modify them into acceptable late roman shoes?

- that depends on your definition of acceptable :-)
You might be able to get a semblance of one of the Deurne shoes out of them, but not really close IMHO.

I will plunge into darkness and try to cut them, we will see the result ;-) !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Here they are:

[Image: deurneshoes.jpg]

Now they are some kind of pseudo-4th century shoes (I know there isn`t such a thing :wink: ). I will perhaps punch some decorative patterns & openings on them too...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Those look nice enough to wear to the office! :-D
Quote:Those look nice enough to wear to the office! :-D

I was afraid that someone would notice that they look quite modern, dammit :twisted: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stepping forward in time - mid 2nd century shoes Martin Moser 19 6,131 10-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius