Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the army shelter refugees at Hadrian\'s Wall?
When I first read the title - Hadrian's Wall dig unearths Roman refugee camp - I mentally scoffed. However, it looks like this is the opinion of Andrew Birley, who seems to be a very sharp guy and not one to perform archaeology by press conference.

I tried to find more information, but this was all I could come up with. Have you heard anything else? What could be other uses for these buildings?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Sadly I tend to be a bit of a cynic when modern terms and definitions are applied to archaeology, particularly in a newspaper report. I suppose it depends on the definition of the term refugee.

The report confuses me because if there are "possibly hundreds" of these roundhouse structures, could they all really fit into the camp at Vindolanda as the report suggests? If they are in the white field that's a different matter.

I'll have to do some further digging (pardon the pun) and see what my archaeology chums on the Wall are saying but I am sure there are one or two much more in the know on here who may care to comment.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I must say I’m with Vindex on this one.

First of all, the article does not specifically state whether this ‘camp’ has ben dated to specific period.

Also, I’d like to know whether the structures were all built around the same time – temporary structures that are rebuilt next to an earlier one could, after some time, give the impression of a ‘camp’ where there never was one.

Third, I’m not sure that I would look at this through modern eyes – why would farmer who trade with the Romans suddenly become ‘traitors and collaborators’ in a society that might very well not even know the concept? I have never seen any study that found such a ‘national’ identity among Iron Age tribes – leaders could break away from other tribes and move into the Empire, but that’s different from what’s being suggested here.

Last, IF the Roman army built this, why can’t this be a temporary housing for Roman troops, who are massed for military action but need housing for a short time? We are perhaps stuck on the notion that Roman troops can only move around in strictly-defined temporary camps with barracks and ditched stockades. But if that’s the case, why would that same Roman institute build housing for refugees that looks totally different?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Are these the same round huts that were supposed to be a Roman concentration camp back in 1997, and evidence of African troops in Britain about a year ago?

:roll:
Nathan Ross
Hi

Yes, they are the same houses. They are underneath the later third century stone fort, which gives a rough date for their construction.

I am there on Saturday so I will see what the latest news is. However the last time I was there the whole site was getting more and more complicated with new discoveries happening all the time.

The huts are to the east of what is described as an "unorthodox Severan military establishment". Plans of the huts and the Severan complex published in 2004 and in 2009 differ in a number of details, obviously as more huts were found and not where they should have been according to the earlier plan. So it may be many years before a full explanation of what they were and how many they were is revealed.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Hi

Yes, they are the same houses. They are underneath the later third century stone fort, which gives a rough date for their construction.

I am there on Saturday so I will see what the latest news is. However the last time I was there the whole site was getting more and more complicated with new discoveries happening all the time.

The huts are to the east of what is described as an "unorthodox Severan military establishment". Plans of the huts and the Severan complex published in 2004 and in 2009 differ in a number of details, obviously as more huts were found and not where they should have been according to the earlier plan. So it may be many years before a full explanation of what they were and how many they were is revealed.

Graham.

Thanks for the update Graham. You're quite right it will probably be many years before we can make an educated guess at the use of the huts and whilst we might have our own favourite pet theories or disagree strongly with others their is no denying that the oxygen of publicity which the media coverage gives the site will hopefully ensure that the resource remains avaliable to throughly investigate the finds Big Grin
Marc Byrne
Can I be a bit controversial here and say that if Vindolanda used professional archaeologists in equal number with paying volunteers (who pay a lot!) interpretation and analysis may be made a little easier.

Having said that, it is a very complicated site with many levels of occupation, but I think that backs up my previous statement.

Being a real cynic, one could say that visitor numbers are down and they have a new museum to pay for...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
As far as I can remember these round houses were first uncovered to the north of the north wall of the stone fort, and off the top of my head I think the first excavations that revealed them were carried out by Paul Bidwell in the late 70s-early 80s.
Brian Stobbs
I think the first excavations that revealed them were carried out by Paul Bidwell in the late 70s-early 80s.

According to the 2009 Robin Birley Vindolanda book they were first found in the 1930's by Eric Birley.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
From what I remember seeing them back then they were at a slight angle to the north wall and going under the fort wall.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Borders folk may descend from Africans from Hadrian\'s Wall Robert Vermaat 30 9,305 10-26-2021, 07:26 AM
Last Post: John1
  Hadrian's Wall in 198AD JenniFletcher 2 1,180 09-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Last Post: JenniFletcher
  roman army fortifications pre-hadrians wall felixgallus 2 1,663 09-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell