Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gods and Legions
I just finished reading this book by Michael Curtis Ford, and it was an excellent read. It is about the rise of Julian through the eyes of his physician, and it is very thorough and well done. It is thick with intrigue and twists and I think that everyone on this board would enjoy it. Ford is something of a newcoming author, as this is his second book. His first was about Xenophon and the ten thousand! This guy can write and he chooses the very best topics. Highly recommended. <p>"Never take council of your fears." Thomas Jackson</p><i></i>
I liked this book too. but it doesnt appeal to every one. My mother who usually reads the same books I do (minus the mysteries) couldnt finish it just tooooo long for her. <p></p><i></i>
I can't put this book down. His descriptive writing makes a movie in my mind's eye, and what a great plot and captivating story. Just the right combo of suspense and tribulation.<br>
<br>
Two thumbs up. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" Coh I<br>
<br>
"Lay your hand, or thy tongue against the greatness of Rome, and feel my wrath." - Matt Lanteigne<br>
<br>
- Number of posts: current +1248</p><i></i>
If you like Julian the Apostate, read "Julian" by Gore Vidal. Hands down my favorite piece of Roman historical fiction. Give it a read (though it's a little light on the military side, heavier on the politics/philosophy/religion.. but that's what this emperor was all about). <p></p><i></i>
I agree it was a good read.<br>
However, was Julian really as mad as a door?<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
<br>
I will be "banal", but I think he was not, I'd fight in his legions (as officer )...<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Titus <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Well, i just finished this book. Honestly, it got worse. I was getting annoyed by Caesarius's devout christian attitude and his constant bickering with Julian. If I was the emperor, i'd have sent him away too. The twist at the end....stupid. I think the story got away from the author a bit...I'm almost loathe to read his first book, "The Ten Thousand", but since it's about my absolute most favorite battle, i'll probably pick it up. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
I have read "The Ten Thousand", and it was considerably better than his latest about Julian. <p>----------<br>
"Never take council of your fears." Thomas Jackson</p><i></i>
Sorry to bump and old topic, but I thought this book was a great read as well. Interesting perspective and it gets you thinking, what might have happened had Julian not died when he did?
James Gelston
AKA Czar Gelstonov, Slim J.G., Jape-toup, Gale
(Don\'\'t ask.)

Quae caret ora cruore nostro? - Horace
I enjoyed Gods and Legions, and the march of the 10,000 one, but didn't like his Mithridates novel "The Last King". It makes this super hero/warrior out of Mithridates, very strange, considering that he was such an interesting character. On a different note, I'm currently reading "Warrior Queen" by Adam Gold. Anybody read this before? It's the weirdest historical novel I've read in a long time, includes horrendous historical errors a la the Julius Caesar "Emperor" series for no reason at all (Claudius is only 42 at his death and only 4 years older than Agrippina, etc.) but is surprisingly historically accurate in other aspects. Weird experience.
Aka
Christoph