Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army - Soup to Nuts
My apologies for this less-than-novel post, but please bear with me...<br>
<br>
I've decided that it's high time I invested in a really good reference book on the Roman army, so I don't keep having to chase bits of information in a dozen different places. There are several such titles, most of which have been mentioned or discussed here, but what I want is quite specific - i.e the most detailed, thorough, up to date and comprehensive account available, covering everything from recruitment to discharge and settlement, organisation, rank structure and administration. I don't need a beginner's guide, nor a lot of fancy illustrations and colour photos - just the facts, soup to nuts (or eggs to apples, as I believe the Romans would have phrased it!)<br>
<br>
Also, I'd quite like something which either focusses on or deals extensively with the army of the late republic. My options appear to be 'The Roman Army at War 100BC - 200AD' by Goldsworthy, which covers the right ground (although I've read that some of Mr G's theories in this book are rather debatable - any thoughts?), Webster's 'Imperial Roman Army' (the time period being out, but is this a problem?), Peddie's 'Roman War Machine' or Connelly's 'Greece and Rome at War' (which seems heavy on the pictures and a bit 'coffee table', if nice looking - the same factor puts me off 'The Complete Roman Army')<br>
<br>
If I was slightly more wealthy, I'd just get the lot, but as it is I have to chose - I'd have to order it too, so I don't have the opportunity to survey the options. Can anyone give me a recommendation? <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross
Connelly's book is fantastic. And Webster is one of my holiest Roman books. Peddie I've read only bits and pieces of- same with Goldsworthy. If you don't mind it being slightly out of the time frame, I highly recommend Webster. Otherwise, Connelly.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I'd go for Goldsworthy. The Complete Roman Army is in fact full of useful info and not really coffee table IMO and does attempt to cover the army from it's early stage to the late empire.<br>
<br>
Webster is becoming a bit dated as is Connolly, but still both good. <p></p><i></i>
I have most of the books listed above and they are good. What I am looking for and I am not sure one exists, but is there a book that gives a comprehensive look at the Roman Wars and /or Battles? I have many books that touch upon the subject but only touch the surface. Is it because the sources are so scanty? I am not sure myself. This is the kind of book I am looking for.<br>
<br>
I read The Osprey Essential History on Caesar's Gallic Campaign and found it very good reading, but that campaign is well documented. I would like something on Trajan's Dacian and Parthian Wars, Marcus Auerlius's campaigns, Lucius Verus's Parthian war amongst others. Anyone know a book like this? <p></p><i></i>