Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twilight of empire: The Roman army
Hi

Has anyone read this "Twilight of empire: The Roman army from the reign of Diocletian until the Battle of Adrianople" by Martinus Nicasie? At £195 for a hard copy it is a bit too much for my wallet though.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twilight-empire-...146&sr=8-1
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
The guy is called Martijn and he's a very nice fellow (finally met him this spring). His book I consider to be a must-have for any serious Late Roman (of course I have it, easy to say for me therefore Big Grin ), but the price is indeed a bit steep!!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert ,

Do you have chapter headings/ summary of contents? I'm assuming that this isn't available as a cheaper ebook.....

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Two reviews on amazon saying how great it is by the same person aren't going to pursuade me to lash out £200...especially as reviews I've read elsewhere indicate that there's nothing particularly new or innovative about the information it contains.
Have you tried ILL?
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:Two reviews on amazon saying how great it is by the same person aren't going to pursuade me to lash out £200...especially as reviews I've read elsewhere indicate that there's nothing particularly new or innovative about the information it contains.
Have you tried ILL?

ILL- Que?

Do agree with your comments regarding the cost of it. Just reading Elton's Warfare in Roman Europe on your recommendation and indeed it is living up to its billing in the first few chapters Smile
Marc Byrne
Inter Library Loan, I think. Certainly worth a shot....

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Quote:Two reviews on amazon saying how great it is by the same person aren't going to pursuade me to lash out £200...especially as reviews I've read elsewhere indicate that there's nothing particularly new or innovative about the information it contains.
Strange reviews.Nicasie’s book is the best study about the late Roman army that I’ve read. This dissertation concerns the strategy of the Late Roman Empire, which is not a topic covered by many authors, and not in such a large format. I think it fits right inbetween Luttwak's books on Roman strategy.

I don’t know about new or innovative, but the number of sources used make it a very good basic study. His approach to army numbers and unit numbers is the best I’ve come across. I have no doubt that the battles of Strassbourg and Adrianople have been described at length by others, but that’s a relatively small part of the book.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I'm sure it's a ripping-wonderful book, but it takes a month for me to save that kind of money. I'll wait until it hits a university library. :roll:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:I'm sure it's a ripping-wonderful book, but it takes a month for me to save that kind of money. I'll wait until it hits a university library. :roll:
It's a pretty old book; I think no library will buy it any more. Perhaps it is better to try to obtain a xerox.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:At £195 for a hard copy it is a bit too much for my wallet though.....
$ 107 from Barnes & Noble
€ 125 from Antiquariaat A. Kok, NL...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
There's a used copy for £50 (plus P&P) on Amazon.co.uk
Well, there was.....

Thanks Richard!

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Quote:Well, there was.....
Well done Paul. Happy reading!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Rats!!!
I missed it!

I'll just wait for the thoroughly beat-up copy with a broken spine and coffee stains on each illustration. :wink:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Does anyone know if it is still in print? Or have the author's contact details?

Phil Sidnell

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Roman Empire from Severus to Constantine+Late Roman Army Caracalla 6 2,529 07-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Caracalla
  Roman Army: Wars of the Empire Marcus Mummius 16 4,068 12-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Last Post: JP Vieira
  Roman Army: Wars of the Empire (Brassey\'s History of Uniform Chuck Russell 8 2,264 04-28-2006, 01:49 AM
Last Post: Chuck Russell