Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scotti/Dessi Reenactors
One of my favourite topics is the Scotti of South Wales, does anyone else reenact these sea borne raiders and settlers. I have an impression that I have created as a side project.
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
An interesting question... BUT moved into 'Allies & Enemies'.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ha! You are Rich25034328 and I claim my five denarii. I was interested to see what you'd come up with after you said you'd get an impression together a couple of years ago...so lets see it.

As fas as I know, you're the only Scotti/Deisi this side of the Irish sea.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
How much do we really know about these people? Are there any decent descriptions in the source material? Did they possess the mystic formula for single malt?
Quote:How much do we really know about these people? Are there any decent descriptions in the source material? Did they possess the mystic formula for single malt?

We know little of them in historical sources.
The traditional Welsh material is a different story, and there are people like Darrel Wolcott who believe it. The Desii established themselves in Demetia by the mid to late 4th century, intermarrying into the southwest Britons. But there is no descriptive or helpful info on their attire that I know of. :?:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
On the contary, There have been quality archaeolgical finds in Ireland, lots of pottery, swords (especially swords), spearheads, javelins and shields. We have granted from a slightly later period an insight into the minds of the Irish/Scotti warriors through the Cattle raid of Cooley and similar tales. We have information on dress via written sources describing which elements of society wore which items. When we compare this to say Sub Roman British reenactment (which i also do) there is positively a wealth of information. For me finding the information is as important as the recreation. Matt, you're correct the 5 denarii are on the way to you...... few more bits to finish and i will post photos.
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Ah!
Good show.
So we do have descriptive material in written sources.
Did they wear kilts? And what did they wear under their kilts? Confusedhock:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
I'm supposedly portraying a late 5th century briton chief from Dyfed, originating from the Ui Liathain and freshly settled in Brittany...

[Image: P1014199.jpg?t=1300382050]

But so far my impression owes more to late roman, subroman briton and early anglo-saxon material than to gaelic sources. Only my brooch does the trick (two penannular brooch with zoomorphic terminals, one tinned, the other enameled, and waiting for a reproduction of the Dinas Powys brooch soon).

This said, one of my next projects is a 5-6th century gaelic warrior/noble.

Here what I plan:
- lèine (knee or ankle lenght) tunic
- brat: ideally I'll try to get a large cloak with card-woven borders and fringes
- one of the Lucas type shoes, not sure which but type 2 looks a bit too late, so Ill maybe go for a simple type
- brooch: as said, got already enough of those
- card-woven belt
- small round shield, leather covered with simple decoration, maybe ring and dots or similar
- two javelins
- one correct spear
- a short sword
- likely a scian (those lovely longknives from Lagore and Ardchattan).
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
Quote:And what did they wear under their kilts?
Their shoes, of course.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
No, absolutely no kilts, which incidently were invented by an Englishman named Rawlinson who worked in a foundry/smithy, they are simply a belted plaid with the top cut off (they're a 16th century invention). My impression consists of inar and truibs as the book of kells shows most warriors wearing this combination its also mentioned as a "guards" dress. I wear a brat with the combo also, its not shown in period sources but it seems a sensible conclusion that a cloak would be worn. At the moment i'm using a round shield (leathers stitched on, as to my knowledge no finds of nails have been found in relation to shields)I am shortly going to make a Clonoura rectangular shield, once i've made the wooden boss to stitch on. I'm armed with two javelins and a short spear. I'm controversally be armed with an axe as my hand weapon, they're not shown in primary literature but have been found on digs. They bear a remarkable resemblance to ones shown on contempary pictish stones.
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Anyone re-enacting the Maetae ?

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Anyone re-enacting the Maetae ?
M.VIB.M.
Meatae. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The other scotti tribe that settled in what is now Wales.
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Hahaha. i misread it constantly in the books i was reading about Caracalla. I made it into maetae and then had to think of the Mai Tai cocktail.... xD

Did the Brigantes ever try to move into Wales ?

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:
MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS post=290627 Wrote:Anyone re-enacting the Maetae ?
M.VIB.M.
Meatae. :wink:
Maeatae :wink: :wink:
Nathan Ross