Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Claudius remake
I can't be the only one to think 'eh?' at this news. Luckily, 'The joint HBO-BBC project will focus on two other stories written by Graves, meaning that it will follow a different storyline from the original' – so perhaps it will be a bit like those Star Trek episodes with an alternative universe... or not.

I, Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
It might be they will use the book Claudius the God by Graves...

Well as long as it wont be as ridiculous as that Spartacus series its ok...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I think that no one could ever take the place of Jacobi in that part, the only better part that might come out of it is a better Emperor Augustus than Blessed.
Other than that all I can say is leave it as I shall always want to remember it.
Brian Stobbs
Nonsense! :x

Once again Hollywood (meaning the film industry anywhere in the Universe) shows a fear of the "New" and returns to mine an old and trusted vein.

What could this mean:

The joint HBO-BBC project will focus on two other stories written by Graves, meaning that it will follow a different storyline from the original. :-?

The original series did encompasses both I, Claudius and Claudius The God, so where does HBO/BBC go?

Now, as this is from HBO/BBC, I wonder if we are in fact hearing echoes of the original proposed 3rd Season of their unceremoniously cancelled series Rome ? Reportedly, that season was to extend the story of Vorenus & Pullo into the early to mid 1st Century dealing with the upheaval in Judea caused by Jesus. (Perhaps we would find Pullo at the crucifixion or Pullo's son by Cleopatra?) :roll: Because of the impending cancellation after only two seasons instead of three, the story and action of the 2nd Season was truncated (almost Reader's Digest style) and ended essentially with the start of the Principate.

Graves wrote a novel, King Jesus, that treats Jesus not as the son of God but rather as a legitimate claimant to the throne of King David. Could this be one of the "two other stories" HBO/BBC are referring to?

Perhaps "They" will concentrate on the story of Herod, Claudius and Jesus thus avoiding the characters of Augustus and Livia and the inevitable comparisons to the performances of Brian Blessed and Sian Philips. As for Jacobi, if They focus on this later half of Claudius' life they might be able to hire him to reprise the role ... if he were at all interested in doing so. The same would hold true for James Faulkner who played Herod Agrippa.

Such a series might actually prove to be interesting, however, a simple remake of the original, no matter how big the budget, would be, I fear, a disappointment.

As always, time will tell. :?

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I wait with bated breath....

(As an aside, have any of you seen the 1968s series the The Caesars by Granada TV? (Although they count Sejanus) Quite a different view of Tiberius (Andrew Morell) and worth a watch if you can cope with the very short costume tunics.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
After seeing Rome, I think that we can expect somthing good about this coproduction of HBO-BBC

A third season of Rome would be magnificent!

Hope is last thing you lose.
I've read it'll draw directly from I, Claudius and Claudius, the God, but won't be a remake. As it's HBO, then the last people probably to do the writing will be mainstream TV screenwriters.

I really hope Brian Blessed gets a cameo role as an asparagus vendor, though.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Tarbicus.

I realy do agree with you on Brian Blessed even though he is a very good actor they needed a more leen looking guy for Octavian.
Brian Stobbs
I just hope that it doesn' t succumb into cheap sex & violence like the overrated " Rome"...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:I just hope that it doesn' t succumb into cheap sex & violence like the overrated " Rome"...

Ummmmmm......
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Virilis post=290460 Wrote:I just hope that it doesn' t succumb into cheap sex & violence like the overrated " Rome"...

Ummmmmm......

Sorry Jim, I didn't know you liked the series. Somehow I never got it, maybe I had too high expectations or perhaps it is just my limited understanding Wink ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Rome was excellent Jyrki!!!!!

Guess you get so much sex in the saunas up in Finland it was all a bit tame for you? :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Rome was excellent Jyrki!!!!!

Guess you get so much sex in the saunas up in Finland it was all a bit tame for you? :wink:

Maybe Wink ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  \"Ben-Hur\" remake emilio 1 1,298 08-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Anyone seen the remake of Clash of the Titans yet?? MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 12 2,706 04-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Narukami
  Greek Mythology...? Clash of the Titans -- the Remake Narukami 50 7,671 11-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Mythos_Ruler