Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Falcata
Hi David
Its a great piece and I couldn't be happier. Still some way from being "authentic" but far better than any commercial piece out there. Feels a bit odd in the hand compared to other swords but I'm liking it more and more.
Phil
pmel018
Philip melhop
It's a beautiful looking sword all right - kudos to the maker, and well done to you, pmel018, for buying it!

Funny how posts don't get noticed sometimes. I placed a post about falcata swords in the Enemies of Rome section, because the one I wanted made was used by Iberian troops fighting for Hannibal. Anyway, click on the link to see the falcata that I had made by the brilliant Iain at Armour Class. It was made to an archaeological template given to me by the generous Thersites - one of our own, and a world expert in these weapons. He has declared it to be one of the top three replica falcata blades he's ever seen. That comment, and its sheer beauty, made me very happy! Big Grin
(The blade was not expensive to have made either - a fraction more than the purportedly crap one from Del Tin.)

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?fu...&id=271801
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Ben, your sword is very beautiful. I'm not an expert on the iberian style of this weapon, but i do see the accurate details on the blade and the grip,some of them really difficult to achieve! I do appreciate the use of iron on the guard. I can't make out,are the rivets also iron?
How much does it weigh?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I'd be very interested in the thickness of the blade too. I have a feeling that every falcata replica, including mine , is made from steel stock that is too thick. I haven't been able to determine the actual thickness of the real weapons.

BTW great looking weapon from Armourclass, I have a couple of their sword and they do great work if very, very slowly.
Phil
pmel018
Philip melhop
@Giannis: thanks for the compliment. I believe that the rivets are iron, but I can't check as I haven't currently got the blade Confusedad: but that's because it's with the artist who shoots my book covers. He's used it to arm Hannibal in the photos for the re-jacket of the paperback :-D As to the weight: it's surprisingly light - I can't be exact, as above, but it's less than 2 kg. More like 1-1.5 kg. It balances SOOOO well too - I can really understand now what a 'well-balanced' sword means.

@pmel018: Thanks too for the nice comments. I'll get the thickness for you when I get the sword back. Have you asked Thersites how thick the blades were? (Another inaccuracy of course is to make them in steel, not iron.)
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Hi guys.
Just want to say thanks to you all for your kind words about my work. Cheers. Also i am looking to doing some more Falcatas in the near future and i wont be using brass! Smile
Thanks again.

Paul

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Guys
I would like to recommend Paul's work. He was a joy to work with, quick, a superb craftsman and resonably priced to boot.
Phil
pmel018
Philip melhop
Quote:Congratulations for having it! It is a really elegant sword. Though it is not true that the greek swords had bronze parts in the handle,they all are iron. One sollution would be to silver them!!! After all the iberians did silver their handles even if to my knowlege they were doing it with inlaid designs...
Khaire
Giannis

Giannis,

The iron handles were limited to kopis only or did they use iron on other swords as well? I thought the Spartan lakonia had bronze handles.

Thoughts?
Hi Joe,
I personaly dont know a great deal about this either, too much info out there that can conflict. Best i can do is find out what people want and try to make it for them as im a bit too busy to do loads of research, any info you guys have would be of great use for new projects, esp pics. would be very greatfull for any help or ideas.

Thanks Paul Holwell
Very nice work Paul.
You actually make me want one!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hello Paul, congratulations for your work and welcome here.

Joe, all greek swords had iron handle and scabbard fittings. There MIGHT be one find from the 8th century bc which had bronze but i have not seen it in a photo.
However, the kopides and the xiphi that have been found only have iron or a combination of iron, bone or wood handle.
As for a laconian sword, i urge you to show me one ;-)
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]